September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Joplus, Aug 18, 2015.

1. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My Goodness this thread is BUSY! I will post and then go back to read and catch up!

My chick began hatching thru the night. Out of 16 set, 9 went into lockdown and only 6 hatched. One was dead in shell and two were quitters. The Delaware Bantam chick is behind the digital monitor. Only 16 quail eggs made it to the hatcher. They should begin hatching tomorrow. Instead of sponges, I use little containers with rolled up papertowels. I can keep them wet by using a syringe to squirt water thru little holes in the top.
    [​IMG]

Here they are moved into the brooder with some week old chicks and a 2 week old Bantam.
    [​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Nan, congratulations..lots going on, and still more to come. Good idea on the paper towels. I use a sponge, just do the same as you through the hole on top.
    Love that little blue colored chick, with some yellow in it. :)

3. Joplus

Joplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Congrats! They're so cute. My last hatch was mixed with chicks and quail. I didn't get very many. And yes very busy today I'll have a lot of catching up to do.

4. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    Day 10. No movement for about 3 days now. The egg is a very light cream. I was very excited when I saw movement in the first week but that stopped about 3 days ago so I wasn't sure if this new thing meant that it's definitely dead & should go. I couldn't find anything on "water drops inside the air cell" or anything close to that description. My other two don't have this but they aren't moving at all & are colder feeling & dark with a blood circle all around the middle.[​IMG]

5. CuckooChook

CuckooChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Central MN
    I need to join. I'm a total hatchaholic. I have two farm innovators 40+ egg 'bators and I just bought the fan and heating element for my mini fridge 'bator in the works. I went absolutely nutso on eggs because I had a few big losses due to predators, my dogs being dumbarses and knocking the brooder light out (it broke) and ugh- I just feel awful over so much loss. (Juvenile Bresse plus chicks, Juvenile Swedish Flower!! Aahhh!) Hopefully these hatch well and I can replenish and then some!

I have Lav Orps, FBC Marans, Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers and Ameruacanas in the hatcher right now in lockdown. I think around 21 eggs? Oh, a few yard eggs as well (mixed breed)

I have a few more yard eggs due to hatch next week and 7 Bresse about a week or so after that.

Eggs I'm waiting on: Bantam Blue Splash Silkies, Blue Swedish Isbar (Greenfire line), Swedish Flower Hens, BSW Ameruacanas (I ADORE the trio I hatched from this ebay seller!), a bunch of Bresse, three dozen assorted rare breeds (I'll list what I end up setting), and a dozen mixed breed. Whew! They should all hatch this month too I think- depending on when they arrive.

6. CuckooChook

CuckooChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Central MN
    One of my favorite little ones...
    [​IMG]
    Drogo; Swedish Flower Hen

7. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG] That...that is so pretty! Ermagersh! I didn't know there were such thing as Flower chickens!

1 person likes this.
  8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Hope you get one of those friends to come over. I'm also looking into webcams. I used my home security cam last time, but we mounted it outside, now hubby doesn't want to move it. I go into lockdown friday, and its labor day weekend, and we go away most weekends. Getting him to stay home on a regular weekend isn't bad, but a long weekend? Ugh.

Try the button at the bottom of any page, switch to desktop mode, load the pic and post from there, then switch back to mobile. That's what I have to do. Its not ideal, and a little hard to manipulate the desktop screen on a phone, but it does work for me.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Gorgeous!

I have LavOrps too, would love to see some pics of yours!

1 person likes this.
  10. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    I was bummed out because I have surgery on hatch day. I thought I was going to totally miss my first hatch, BUT... Look what I just found! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by