September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Alright, question for those who have hatched before: do you vaccinate for Marek's disease, or rather should I vaccinate my chicks? If so, how?

Day 17?  Wow!  You might want to go ahead and lock down.  Have you candled lately?

Its so much easier for us to tell each other to be patient... why is it so hard to practice what we preach???  :lol:
Be Patient GitaBooks... Be Patient GitaBooks...  Be Patient GitaBooks!

I candled on day 10 and 14. I have taken a glance at a couple. It's completely filled with black except for the air cell and those look great. They are very dark Marans eggs. I just added water to the trough. Just one and it's about 60%. I'm afraid to fill the second trough and the humidity to go too high. There's definitely one egg really wiggling. Maybe that's it and was a little incubated before I got it.

Last edited:
Sooooo impatient. My eggs are suppose to be hatched today and they aren't even pipped. I had lowered the temperature a degree because it seemed too hot, but I put it back up to see if that would help. The humidity is nice and high and when I candle the eggs they seem to be alive, but not very active. They aren't chirping at me either.

Stay patient. I have to stay patient. :barnie Too late. Lol.
Same here!!! Ugh we'll sit in the patient boat together. I'm twiddling my thumbs. Hopping yours hatch soon!

Same here!!! Ugh we'll sit in the patient boat together. I'm twiddling my thumbs. Hopping yours hatch soon!

They're hatching! Two of them are hatching!!! (the other two I set a couple days late)
celebrate.gif

It must have been mom. When I talk to the eggs, to try to get them to respond to me, they were quiet. But to her they cheeped and got excited and just an hour or so afterwards started hatching. Guess that shows they like my mom better then me.
tongue.png

celebrate.gif

I just locked down 24 awesome looking eggs!! Let the thumb-twiddling begin!
big_smile.png

Best of luck to your hatching!!!
thumbsup.gif

My chicks are doing it right now, and I get to watch them! This is the first time I've gotten to witness a natural hatching, as usually the only time I get to see a hatching egg is to help it (generally they are otherwise hidden under their mother). It is so cool!

Best of luck to your hatching!!! :thumbsup

My chicks are doing it right now, and I get to watch them! This is the first time I've gotten to witness a natural hatching, as usually the only time I get to see a hatching egg is to help it (generally they are otherwise hidden under their mother). It is so cool!

Congrats! Love to see pics

Last edited:
Hi, I have one little solo Serama egg in my bator. It is due to hatch on the 11th of Sept. The embryo is obviously alive in it. This was a shipped egg. The aircells were scrambled when I got them. I followed protocol for shipped eggs. However now the air cell is really weird. It is oblong and starts at the top and runs down the side. I feel like the egg is loosing moisture too fast so I have increased the humidity in the bator. I'm just not sure how to handle the really weird shaped aircells come hatching day. I also am worried about having to up the humidity sooooo much to slow down moisture /weight loss in the egg. Worried about drowning the chick on hatching day or having that mushy chick syndrome

We are on our second attempt at shipped Serama eggs. We had one almost make it out of the first, but they had a rough trip. I hear Seramas are a difficult breed to hatch alone because of their small size, delicate eggs and lethal gene and shipping adds it's own schlew complications. But we're not giving up yet! We have 6 out of 18 alive and due for lockdown on Monday. We are so new at hatching, we are still learning the "art". I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Back
Top Bottom