September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Oops just bought a new 48 egg incubator this could be dangerous lol will be adding gold laced orpingtons to my hatch and more paint silkies both tricolor and normal :D

And this is why I love this group, you guys understand. I almost cried, and still wanna kick myself.
I have 12 set too and it's sooo frustrating!! Beautiful color but pain to see anything. I'm wondering if I buy a expensive ovascope if it would make a difference?

I bought a 225 lumen flashlight at Walmart for $15. Works just as good as the ovascope, imo. It's the ozark trail brand.

My 7 month old Jersey Giant decided that she was going to be serious about sitting on her pile of eggs today. She's the last to lay every day, and I noticed that while she's been sitting in the nest, my daily egg collection has been short one egg for the last couple of days. After weeks of 'playing broody,' she finally is. Tonight at cooping up time, she was like a zombie, just sitting, eyes glazed over. I'll be marking her clutch and putting her in a private 'nesting suite' in the coop tomorrow morning.
She's sitting on a combination of Easter Egger, Australorp, and Barred Rock eggs all fathered by my Easter Egger rooster, King Tut.

My 7 month old Jersey Giant decided that she was going to be serious about sitting on her pile of eggs today. She's the last to lay every day, and I noticed that while she's been sitting in the nest, my daily egg collection has been short one egg for the last couple of days. After weeks of 'playing broody,' she finally is. Tonight at cooping up time, she was like a zombie, just sitting, eyes glazed over. I'll be marking her clutch and putting her in a private 'nesting suite' in the coop tomorrow morning. She's sitting on a combination of Easter Egger, Australorp, and Barred Rock eggs all fathered by my Easter Egger rooster, King Tut.
Gosh she's pretty! I'm so happy for you. I'm hoping my banty is for real too.

I understand. I've taken eggs out that I thought smelled rotten only to find a beautiful lil life inside. And the overwhelming feeling of heartbreak and grief takes over while I watched the life go out of them. Oh the guilt is horrendous! And there was the chick I sat on and killed recently. I think it's normal to feel sick to your stomach. But as said before,don't get down on yourself or dwell on it. You are human and the chick is in heaven with my chick,Hope!
1f425.png
1f425.png

And this is why I love this group, you guys understand. I almost cried, and still wanna kick myself.

2764.png
Me too. When I was so heartbroken over killing my Hope with my rear end,so many people here encouraged me. Gitabooks I remember specifically. I love this group. I tell people that we have the bestes thread going here!
2764.png

Last edited:
I want to join this, too!
I set my very first ever shipped serama eggs in my very first ever owned incubator Friday Aug 21st!
celebrate.gif

Here's hoping I do this right according to every different article I read.
lol.png

Let the shipped eggs rest for two days...

Traced the air cell & X/O'd the eggies...

Ran the incubator for two days as the eggs rested, two thermometer/hygrometers, one mercury thermometer...

Set them & stare at them intently, turning (tilting) them 3+ times a day...

They are on my night stand so I can be a creeper & stare at them in the middle of the night, too...

As of today, looks like I didn't kill them yet!
woot.gif

I try to keep the temp @ about 99-100 & the humidity around 50%

If there's something else a noobie like me should be doing, any advice is very welcomed!

I want to join this, too! I set my very first ever shipped serama eggs in my very first ever owned incubator Friday Aug 21st!:celebrate Here's hoping I do this right according to every different article I read.:lol: Let the shipped eggs rest for two days... Traced the air cell & X/O'd the eggies... Ran the incubator for two days as the eggs rested, two thermometer/hygrometers, one mercury thermometer... Set them & stare at them intently, turning (tilting) them 3+ times a day... They are on my night stand so I can be a creeper & stare at them in the middle of the night, too... As of today, looks like I didn't kill them yet! :woot I try to keep the temp @ about 99-100 & the humidity around 50% If there's something else a noobie like me should be doing, any advice is very welcomed!
Hey welcome!!! Omgosh your in my home town!!!! I was born and raised in Sac town. Lived there 30 years. My family is still there.
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
1f62a.png
I miss them so much. I come home to visit every chance I get. So glad you joined us! We've got the bestes thread!!! You're in the right place for advice!!! The people here are overflowing with knowledge !!!! I wonder if we inadvertently know one another......?????
1f635.png
1f603.png

Last edited:
Yep! I'm here in Sactown! Been here (or Elk Grove) since I was 6 months old in 1980. Other than living in San Francisco & Biloxi a year each I've always been here.
I don't know a Glory personally but we may know each other indirectly :)

Back
Top Bottom