September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

My broody is only 7 months old, and none of my flock have ever experienced chicks before. I'm equal parts excited and scared.
What type of a broody do you have? My best was my silkie Amelia. But,I have tried it with two other girls and it did not turn out. The other girls were laying under them...at one point one of the hens had 12 eggs under her!

Quote: I'll def post pic's of them and yes its an awesome color its Silver and Black as opposed to the Copper and Black. There very rare over here so I've had to import the eggs, hence I'm not expecting a huge hatch rate from 18 eggs.

I've candled the eggs and x 4 are def viable x 3 more are possibles the rest though look like no goer's so fingers crossed for x 4 at least from this hatch as they will be the only flock that I and many others know of in this country. There are 2 breeders north of the boarder but that's classed as the UK so a separate country. I have other rare Marans as well, again these are from imported eggs but it'll be next year before I'm breeding them here as theses guys have to grow a bit yet.

Sorry I just got in again and had a lot of catching up to do and congrats to all the new chicks you are getting and thanks to @GitaBooks donating me some eggs I have been busy myself and of 11 eggs 7 are due Tuesday and I also had 5 of my own guinea eggs and they were all fertile, yay! So now all my eggs are on lockdown I will try to get some pics

What type of a broody do you have? My best was my silkie Amelia. But,I have tried it with two other girls and it did not turn out. The other girls were laying under them...at one point one of the hens had 12 eggs under her!
She's a hatchery Jersey Giant, and she's the smallest in my flock. I've got her in a dog kennel inside the coop so the other girls can't add to her clutch. 2 have piped and there is a lot of cheeping. The flock is squawking up a storm out there.

She's a hatchery Jersey Giant, and she's the smallest in my flock. I've got her in a dog kennel inside the coop so the other girls can't add to her clutch. 2 have piped and there is a lot of cheeping. The flock is squawking up a storm out there.
Cool, they are probably rooting on the little ones to hatch!

So two more incubator chicks hatched today. Crossing fingers for a few more. I have 17 left in there to hatch. One is zipping and a few more are rocking.

Last edited:

Guinea hatch experiment update. I have seven healthy keets. Thought I was done but last night two more hatched and greeted me this morning. An hour later there was another one and two more eggs pipped and cheeping. This is crazy! I have homes for all of them and need to get my brooder empty by this weekend for -hopefully- my marans eggs to hatch.

That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom