September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I have a lady who wants me to hatch her out some Cream Legbar chicks and will let me keep a few females if I want, she wants em in the incubator by Friday but I'm gone this weekend. Fingers cross it works out! I really wanna hatch my first batch of chicks, had this thing laying around for two years brand new!!! Can't wait to see everyone else's babies though! :)

I have a lady who wants me to hatch her out some Cream Legbar chicks and will let me keep a few females if I want, she wants em in the incubator by Friday but I'm gone this weekend. Fingers cross it works out! I really wanna hatch my first batch of chicks, had this thing laying around for two years brand new!!! Can't wait to see everyone else's babies though! :)
that's great! I would set it up tomorrow so you can work on temps and making sure everything running smoothly. What incubator is it?

So my two year old got into the incubator today and cracked two eggs. One was a serama and the other was a la bresse. I sealed them with sticky wax but I've never had that actually work before. I think their toast. The other eggs seem to be OK.

She had it open for just a second before I stopped her but the damage was done. :(

that's great! I would set it up tomorrow so you can work on temps and making sure everything running smoothly. What incubator is it?

I bought it from incubator warehouse. I believe I got the 1602N hovabator with automatic turners and a fan already put in. I might even see how it runs tonight to make sure I can leave it for the weekend in my room with my friend who's watching over our chickens and dogs just checking on it twice a day. It's just never been used before (meant for my quail but was always too busy before I decided I wanted more personal chickens) so I'm pretty sure that makes me even more worried being 10+ hours away from them!
I haven't gotten a response back from the lady but she said if I can't hatch this time then maybe again in the spring, but fingers crossed I can put em in Friday. If not I'll have to join a later group ):

Yeah. There is still hope. I have used finger nail polish before to seal the jagged cracks with success. Keep faith. :)

Sure is!! I'm on day 12. waiting for day 14 to candle and mark air sacs again. I had 12/12 looking good at day 7 so hoping for a continuation of that on Thursday night. Ahhhh the waiting game.

My husband officially called me 'addicted' this morning when he woke up and found me on BYC. Oh well, addictions need to be treated. I told him it could be 'treated' with the collection of some pallets this week so I can make a grow out pen.... hehehehe
gig.gif
yup! my husband is saying i'm obsessed and got "chicken fever" LOL. I've already started to bug him about making me a grow out pen as well using some of our scrap wood we have lying around from making the new coop, garden beds, and fencing. Maybe a good chicken tractor too...
ya.gif

I told him after this hatch, perhaps i'll trying hatching some of our own eggs...so he best get on the new brooder/ grow out pen
lau.gif

I baked him some chocolate zucchini bread to make up for my constant "adding to the to-do list big projects that have strict timelines" on top of everything else (like fencing our garden)
wink.png

Today is day 7 for us, so i'm pretty excited for tonight! I'm just worried the temp. in our incubator will lower too much while we candle due to us removing and replacing about 20 eggs or so...we'll see. It boosts itself back up pretty good so that's what i'm hoping it'll do if were quick enough it won't drop too low.

@two j farm that's so exciting! hoping for the best for your little eggs
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
:gig yup! my husband is saying i'm obsessed and got "chicken fever" LOL. I've already started to bug him about making me a grow out pen as well using some of our scrap wood we have lying around from making the new coop, garden beds, and fencing. Maybe a good chicken tractor too... :ya

I told him after this hatch, perhaps i'll trying hatching some of our own eggs...so he best get on the new brooder/ grow out pen :lau

I baked him some chocolate zucchini bread to make up for my constant "adding to the to-do list big projects that have strict timelines" on top of everything else (like fencing our garden) ;)

Today is day 7 for us, so i'm pretty excited for tonight! I'm just worried the temp. in our incubator will lower too much while we candle due to us removing and replacing about 20 eggs or so...we'll see. It boosts itself back up pretty good so that's what i'm hoping it'll do if were quick enough it won't drop too low.

@two j farm
 that's so exciting! hoping for the best for your little eggs :thumbsup

Remember that Mama would get off the nest for about 20 minutes a day. So I don't worry about the temperature drop during candling, I just try to keep it under 20 minutes.

The other day I moved all the eggs to one incubator and packed the other one away, planning to be done with all my hatching around next Friday. What did I do today? Bought some more eggs. (sigh). Well, it will only extend my hatching season by about two weeks, so it could be worse, right? After that I am SERIOUSLY done. People need to stop selling eggs. :mad:

Coming over from the August hatch-along. Set 6 eggs for my very first hatch, 3 from my Salmon Favs pair and 3 from my Buff-laced Polish group. My SF hen is a very sporadic layer and I'm hoping to get at least a few chicks from her before she stops laying entirely. The Polish are a young group and I threw in some eggs from them just to make up a half dozen. At first candling 5/6 are developing, so I'm hoping all goes well.My friend is setting them with her 2 doz. Mille-Fleur D'uccle bantams in her Brinsea.

Back
Top Bottom