September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I had a 64% hatch rate (not quite 2/3rds) on the black copper maran eggs. I purchased them online from one of the "darkest egg" winners at nationals. This is a better hatch rate than I've had in the past with these eggs, including when they were NOT SHIPPED eggs.

Next time I'll get an even better hatch rate but I'm liking the weighing method, next time I will weigh every 3 days. This time around I waited 4/5 days in between and didn't start the first weighing till day 8. I'll be posting photos of the guys and data a little later on when all my stuff has charged.
nice! I had about the same, 4 out of 6 eggs hatched for my blue copper marans. These were from a local breeder so not shipped.

I did the egg weighing as well, i did the first time after three days and then every 3-4 days after that. ended up being that way weighing on days 3,7, 10, 14, and 18. I candled on the days 10,14 and 18 as well.

I loved the weighing method as well, I feel that really helped me grasp the humidity.

Come join the Halloween hatch along! There are contests to!

*Ssshhhhh......* I haven't told hubby I already bought more eggs. Figure he can't say no if they are already here
wink.png
Love it!! I'm just going to clean up the incubator, sort and store some of our eggs that I want to hatch and we'll go from there.
lol.png

Day 18, 23 eggs into lock down. I got the eggs moved into the new incubator (FI 4250) and wow it's huge, so deep. I have had trouble getting the humidity up. I had to fill all the troughs and put 4 jars with sponges in to get it to 60%. I candled and air cells are all over the place, some huge and some tiny, I think this always happens. I can see movement and they are wiggling and rocking. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Day 18, 23 eggs into lock down. I got the eggs moved into the new incubator (FI 4250) and wow it's huge, so deep. I have had trouble getting the humidity up. I had to fill all the troughs and put 4 jars with sponges in to get it to 60%. I candled and air cells are all over the place, some huge and some tiny, I think this always happens. I can see movement and they are wiggling and rocking. Can't wait!

I put a small shallow dish (Tupperware lid actually) in there with a piece of rag spread across it and fill it so the rag is very damp.

Last edited:
One is finally out and my other egg has pipped at last. For being lost in the mail for TWO WEEKS- I'm amazed that these chicks are even hatching!

One is finally out and my other egg has pipped at last. For being lost in the mail for TWO WEEKS- I'm amazed that these chicks are even hatching!

I am both happy for you and amazed as well!!!

According to the shipping log my last eggs arrived at my local post office then went out for delivery on seemingly the wrong truck, got logged back in at the post office. They made it to me for afternoon delivery on the estimated day, but I still had fewer develop than you did.

Last edited:
Are they from blue x blue? I think you have black there.

Here are how my blues looked

hmmm well, the lady that i got them from does have black copper marans (which was originally what i was going to order) but she said they weren't laying though her blue copper marans were.
perhaps i got dubbed by her
hmm.png
either way, we'll see what they grow up to be then! I just love the rich colour of their eggs mostly from both of them

thanks for pointing that out and showing me! I do have one that is more grey than the other three

Well I am heading for a very disappointing hatch, if any even make it out.
First batch of 6 la bresse eggs, and only 1 is developing. That one goes into lockdown tomorrow evening (Monday).
The second batch of 6 from a different breeder is 1 week behind the 1st, and again, only 1 is developing.
Feeling bummed as really wanted this breed as a dual purpose, and the hatching eggs were not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom