September 2016 Hatch-A-Long

hmmm well, the lady that i got them from does have black copper marans (which was originally what i was going to order) but she said they weren't laying though her blue copper marans were.

perhaps i got dubbed by her :/  either way, we'll see what they grow up to be then! I just love the rich colour of their eggs mostly from both of them

thanks for pointing that out and showing me! I do have one that is more grey than the other three

Blue x blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash

Blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black

It's just a matter of chance what you end up with

I was hoping if get one of each but got all blue. I'm just glad i didn't get black, though one is feathering in near black but genetically it's still considered blue.

I looked at some pictures and yours could be black or just very dark blue, which I've heard might hide the copper.

Last edited:
Blue x blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash

Blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black

It's just a matter of chance what you end up with

I was hoping if get one of each but got all blue. I'm just glad i didn't get black, though one is feathering in near black but genetically it's still considered blue.

I looked at some pictures and yours could be black or just very dark blue, which I've heard might hide the copper.
oh wow! well now i really have no idea what i'm gonna get LOL but once you said that i looked again and looked at pictures. Looks like some are for sure looking like the black copper chicks and two have more grey / lavender to them.
I'm clueless when it comes to the process of breeding / genetics to get these traits, seems to go right over my head haha

One in particular is promising looking but we'll see. the second one i'm not sure as it has different colouring from everyone else, dark grey, black the pale cream tummy but also has some yellowing around the tummy's edge and the neck area.
Good thing i'm not looking to breed these as this would be a nightmare i would imagine!

I guess i'll see what i end up with eventually, I just hope the pullets will lay the dark eggs that i love about this breed.

oh wow! well now i really have no idea what i'm gonna get LOL but once you said that i looked again and looked at pictures. Looks like some are for sure looking like the black copper chicks and two have more grey / lavender to them.

I'm clueless when it comes to the process of breeding / genetics to get these traits, seems to go right over my head haha

One in particular is promising looking but we'll see. the second one i'm not sure as it has different colouring from everyone else, dark grey, black the pale cream tummy but also has some yellowing around the tummy's edge and the neck area. 

Good thing i'm not looking to breed these as this would be a nightmare i would imagine! 

I guess i'll see what i end up with eventually, I just hope the pullets will lay the dark eggs that i love about this breed.

I think they should be similar to the color of the eggs they came from, though the father's genes could slightly lighten or darken them.

I only just got my first Marans and read up on the genetics a little because I want to breed them. 90% of the Marans sold around here are black so I wanted to breed blue and splash and then I also wound up with two wheaten pullets and a wheaten cockerel and I may actually focus on them because I just heard of a woman who is going to start breeding blues not too far from me. I don't know about the quality of her birds, though.

So my last egg hatched and the cord was attached to the chick/egg. It's fallen off but does this look ok? I would anticipate a little blood...

Day 17, lockdown is tomorrow wrote down everything on the lid with a dry erase marker temp keeps on rising for some reason and humidity will be bumped up tomorrow yay! My brooder is still being set up :/ I have no clue how to set up my lamp around the pool and cardboard since I still have to use it this time around. Might have to make some sort of stand or something poo! So 15/16 (one was never fertile I don't think) still, will candle again tomorrow and update if there's any bad eggs!

Back
Top Bottom