SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Looks like it's going to be a few days before I can get some candling pics... it's suddenly turned very rainy here and I don't want to risk them getting wet. I did have a peek at 4 days and saw action in at least 3 of 4.
And my broody 'knows'... as soon as I gave her the eggs she knew something was up. The next day and she was the broodiest I'd ever seen her! This will be our first clutch, but I have a really happy future momma on my hands :)

Oooh, silkies are the very best mommas, cant wait to see them chooks!

I have ordered my quail eggs I’m so excited :barnie:celebrate:wee:ya

Haha, now we wait............ lol

If they get here soon enough I could make the September hatch

Yea, cant wait to see the little quaily babies!!!

My brooder is an old display case laid on its side, so its roughly 3 ish feet square.... I like the plexiglass front so we can see in.... oh and the most important feature a top covered in hardware cloth. Of course I cant find any good pics right now.... but I will take some
When I brooded my first bunch bought as chicks, I used a 6 panel pet pen and strapped it in cardboard corrugate with plastic mat and astroturf underneath. The hoops on the top are perfect for fitting bird mesh over snugly to keep the little ones in. Those panels are the best; I've used them to make pseudo barriers for the chooks and to cloche off plants as well. Even at two ft tall, the girls don't even try to jump them. 3 of them are sectioning off my broody in the coop right now :)

Lotta drama with our second, 2-egg hatch this weekend. Both were viable when I candled them Thursday night, thinking they'd hatch Monday (day 19 - bantams usually hatch early for us). Saturday afternoon I went out to check on the mama and found her off the nest freaking out in the corner of the pen, and only one egg left in the nest. Best guess is a rat or snake got in there somehow and made off with one. So apparently that was enough to put mom off the nest. Best we can tell, she was off the one egg for the next couple of hours mostly, was on it overnight, and then back off of it an hour or so the next morning. In desperation we took it and put it under the new mama next door, the one who hatched three chicks last week. She seems to have adopted it and is happily chortling on it while her three chicks climb all over her. Anyone want to lay odds whether or not it will hatch? And if so, what day? Wednesday would be day 21. And finally, will the other three chicks accept the new one if it hatches successfully?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom