SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Seriously? I have a friend that can pick them up for me and meet me halfway. Do you have pics?
I'm about 95% serious. They're one of my son's favorites, so we'd have to kind of have a little family meeting in regards to it. I could probably let you know by the end of the day though. I believe it's one pullet and one cockerel. They are Silkies though so who knows?! Lol. I don't remember exactly, but I want to stay there around four months old. The pictures are two to three weeks old.
20190810_072212.jpg
20190810_072304.jpg
20190804_201837.jpg

Sometimes eggs develop later than others, yesterday all of the Dark Cornish showed no signs of developing as all the other eggs had already started. I am only on day 5.5 (started at midnight and candled around noon), I usually wait until day 10 but this time I marked day 8 on the calendar because I have yet to have one develop between day 8 and 10.

Sometimes eggs develop later than others, yesterday all of the Dark Cornish showed no signs of developing as all the other eggs had already started. I am only on day 5.5 (started at midnight and candled around noon), I usually wait until day 10 but this time I marked day 8 on the calendar because I have yet to have one develop between day 8 and 10.
Well, then, I don't believe I have a single viable egg. :( It is day 8 and I see nothing developing. One egg has a red line around 2/3 of the middle. I read that means it has failed or died. I see one dark spot on another but I can't tell if it's in the shell. All the shells are pretty mottled, so I might be missing something, but I don't think so. :confused: How disappointing.

I really only ordered these eggs for a broody hen, and now I'm so relieved that she stopped being broody. The only thing worse than having them fail in the incubator would be to have them fail under her. I suppose this is what I get for buying them from an unknown source on Ebay. I generally don't shop there, but I was trying to get eggs under Surly while she was broody and these could get here the fastest. Also I was being picky. I only wanted Buff Orpingtons. Oh well, we live and learn. For me, it's usually this way -- :he :rolleyes:

Well, then, I don't believe I have a single viable egg. :( It is day 8 and I see nothing developing. One egg has a red line around 2/3 of the middle. I read that means it has failed or died. I see one dark spot on another but I can't tell if it's in the shell. All the shells are pretty mottled, so I might be missing something, but I don't think so. :confused: How disappointing.

I really only ordered these eggs for a broody hen, and now I'm so relieved that she stopped being broody. The only thing worse than having them fail in the incubator would be to have them fail under her. I suppose this is what I get for buying them from an unknown source on Ebay. I generally don't shop there, but I was trying to get eggs under Surly while she was broody and these could get here the fastest. Also I was being picky. I only wanted Buff Orpingtons. Oh well, we live and learn. For me, it's usually this way -- :he :rolleyes:
Keep them until day 10, your incubator may be slightly cooler than mine and it takes longer to develop if its slightly cooler. Humidity might be a key too, maybe mine develop faster because I run the incubator dry the first week. High humidity here so I found I had better success running the incubator dry the first week, add water and let it run dry for a few days before I add more. Who knows, I am guessing and speculating. Everyones hatch ends up being different. Your blood ring egg is dead. I have had so many of those although so far this hatch none... week 2 is when I tend to get them though so I am not out of woods on that.

Ehh don't beat yourself up. My recent hatching started with 22 eggs and I only got 3 chicks total. I went to through 4 different sources. 2 of the sources are people I've bought live birds from and have complete trust in, yet none of their eggs hatched. Ironically, the other 2 sources I didnt know at the time, but did have some hatch. Those 2 where an Ebay seller and @john_wrightson2003.

I was rather let down at first, but I was also very naive about it all. I can tell you this though, I've learned alot in the last 3 weeks. Enough I didn't even have the incubator turned off for more than an hour before setting 18 more eggs.

One of the things I did was waited till and egg stunk before removing it. Even the ones I was 95% sure where not fertile. Even those eggs helped me learn. Like... Never let a none fertile egg that's been in the incubator for 14 days break in the house. Talk about a gag worthy smell! :sick

I would suggest being cautious with Ebay eggs, but I did have success with the ones I bought, and the 18 I have now are from the same person.

Being naive is not always a bad thing. As long as there's something you can take from it, then it's education. I'm not calling you naive by the way, I'm talking about my own experience. However in regards to your situation, don't let it put a bad taste in your mouth. Although I only got three chicks, I had so much fun watching those three chicks it was worth it all. Maybe not financially, but educationally, enjoyment wise, the social aspect that it brought on. All of it was worth it. And who know, you might actually have viable after all!
:hugs:hugs:highfive:

Keep them until day 10, your incubator may be slightly cooler than mine and it takes longer to develop if its slightly cooler. Humidity might be a key too, maybe mine develop faster because I run the incubator dry the first week. High humidity here so I found I had better success running the incubator dry the first week, add water and let it run dry for a few days before I add more. Who knows, I am guessing and speculating. Everyones hatch ends up being different. Your blood ring egg is dead. I have had so many of those although so far this hatch none... week 2 is when I tend to get them though so I am not out of woods on that.
Thanks for the encouragement. I will wait until day 10. Then...on to the mulch pile with these eggs. This does give me a little hope still. :)

Ehh don't beat yourself up. My recent hatching started with 22 eggs and I only got 3 chicks total. I went to through 4 different sources. 2 of the sources are people I've bought live birds from and have complete trust in, yet none of their eggs hatched. Ironically, the other 2 sources I didnt know at the time, but did have some hatch. Those 2 where an Ebay seller and @john_wrightson2003.

I was rather let down at first, but I was also very naive about it all. I can tell you this though, I've learned alot in the last 3 weeks. Enough I didn't even have the incubator turned off for more than an hour before setting 18 more eggs.

One of the things I did was waited till and egg stunk before removing it. Even the ones I was 95% sure where not fertile. Even those eggs helped me learn. Like... Never let a none fertile egg that's been in the incubator for 14 days break in the house. Talk about a gag worthy smell! :sick

I would suggest being cautious with Ebay eggs, but I did have success with the ones I bought, and the 18 I have now are from the same person.

Being naive is not always a bad thing. As long as there's something you can take from it, then it's education. I'm not calling you naive by the way, I'm talking about my own experience. However in regards to your situation, don't let it put a bad taste in your mouth. Although I only got three chicks, I had so much fun watching those three chicks it was worth it all. Maybe not financially, but educationally, enjoyment wise, the social aspect that it brought on. All of it was worth it. And who know, you might actually have viable after all!
:hugs:hugs:highfive:
Thanks for that. You're right. It's all one grand experiment after another around here. I am thinking of getting some new eggs, but I do still want BO's and they seem to be hard to find. Who knew? :confused:

I'm going to tag along and watch the September hatches! I have some shipped Buff Laced Polish eggs in the incubator that are actually due to hatch 8/31-9/1 because I set them later in the day. I've been posting updates in the August hatch-a-long but I may pop in here occasionally as well so I can see everyone else's updates! Good luck on the hatches! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Buff Laced Polish Egg Developing.jpg

Back
Top Bottom