SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
I'm going to tag along and watch the September hatches! I have some shipped Buff Laced Polish eggs in the incubator that are actually due to hatch 8/31-9/1 because I set them later in the day. I've been posting updates in the August hatch-a-long but I may pop in here occasionally as well so I can see everyone else's updates! Good luck on the hatches! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

View attachment 1882662
:lau

As IF by the end of September/start of fall, you’re not going to have more eggs in the bator.

:hugs

I'm going to tag along and watch the September hatches! I have some shipped Buff Laced Polish eggs in the incubator that are actually due to hatch 8/31-9/1 because I set them later in the day. I've been posting updates in the August hatch-a-long but I may pop in here occasionally as well so I can see everyone else's updates! Good luck on the hatches! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

View attachment 1882662

Thanks for joining @CluckNDoodle. You are by far my favorite to have in any HAL! Cant wait to see some tiny polish chicks!!!

Haha I just keep getting eggs for the incubator. Right now I have some Mille Fleur D'uccles, White Ameraucanas, and Duckwing Araucanas in the incubator, due to hatch next week I believe.

Then, starting tomorrow or Wednesday I'll have about 50 more eggs to put into the incubator including Silkies and more White Ameraucanas. My Polish are too young to start laying, and I haven't decided on their pens yet.

I can't wait for Spring honestly because that's when all of my babies will be old enough to start hatching out their eggs. Going to have some French Black Copper Marans, Polish, Silkies, Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, White Ameraucanas, Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucanas, Lavender Ameraucanas, Mille Fleur/Gold Neck D'uccles, Black/Blue Mottled D'uccles, Silver Mille Fleur D'uccles. It'll be a super busy Spring for us!

I think you can guess what my favorite breeds are, lol.

View attachment 1882662
Those are great photos! :goodpost:And so helpful to me right now! Wish I could get good photos of mine for advice on here, but I can't figure it out with only 2 hands. Your photos are another indication that my eggs are all not viable. That's a little sad, but my first time incubating and it was a completely unplanned event. Next time it will be more intentional and purposeful, and I'll buy my eggs from a better source. Thanks for sharing those great pics!!!:caf

:lau

As IF by the end of September/start of fall, you’re not going to have more eggs in the bator.

:hugs

LOL!! I haven't "agreed" to hatch any others yet! :lau:gig
I've even considered downsizing and selling one of my incubators...I mean, 4 incubators is enough right? HAHA! :oops:

Thanks for joining @CluckNDoodle. You are by far my favorite to have in any HAL! Cant wait to see some tiny polish chicks!!!

Aw shucks, you sure know how to make a girl feel special!
smiley blush.gif
lol

Haha I just keep getting eggs for the incubator. Right now I have some Mille Fleur D'uccles, White Ameraucanas, and Duckwing Araucanas in the incubator, due to hatch next week I believe.

Then, starting tomorrow or Wednesday I'll have about 50 more eggs to put into the incubator including Silkies and more White Ameraucanas. My Polish are too young to start laying, and I haven't decided on their pens yet.

I can't wait for Spring honestly because that's when all of my babies will be old enough to start hatching out their eggs. Going to have some French Black Copper Marans, Polish, Silkies, Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, White Ameraucanas, Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucanas, Lavender Ameraucanas, Mille Fleur/Gold Neck D'uccles, Black/Blue Mottled D'uccles, Silver Mille Fleur D'uccles. It'll be a super busy Spring for us!

I think you can guess what my favorite breeds are, lol.

Sounds like you're going to have an epic hatching month! I can't wait to see your updates!

I also plan to work on some Polkies (Silkie x Polish) in order to get some Buff Laced and Silver Laced Silkies.

That sounds interesting! I hope I stumble across your updates once your project comes around!

BTW,tomorrow is day 10. I will candle the eggs one more time and if I don't see anything happening, I'm going to dispose of them. Can someone tell me the best way to do that? I don't want the smell of rotten eggs in my kitchen (garbage disposal) or in my compost pile. Should I just seal them in a baggie and put them in the trash? What do you do with the eggs that don't develop?

Those are great photos! :goodpost:And so helpful to me right now! Wish I could get good photos of mine for advice on here, but I can't figure it out with only 2 hands. Your photos are another indication that my eggs are all not viable. That's a little sad, but my first time incubating and it was a completely unplanned event. Next time it will be more intentional and purposeful, and I'll buy my eggs from a better source. Thanks for sharing those great pics!!!:caf

Thanks! I'm glad you found the images helpful! Things to consider with those, in particular, is that Polish lay white eggs and white eggs are soooo easy to candle and see what's going on extremely early. I also have a little 1300 lumen LED flashlight that I use for candling so It's very bright and makes development even easier to see early! Even with white eggs I rarely give up on my eggs before day 10, sometimes more like day 15 if it's a dark egg such as Marans. Picture for example of a Marans hatch I did earlier this month.

8-3-19 (2-2).jpg

BTW,tomorrow is day 10. I will candle the eggs one more time and if I don't see anything happening, I'm going to dispose of them. Can someone tell me the best way to do that? I don't want the smell of rotten eggs in my kitchen (garbage disposal) or in my compost pile. Should I just seal them in a baggie and put them in the trash? What do you do with the eggs that don't develop?

Lots of people dig a hole and bury them. I tend to wrap them up in a few bags and take them to the trash outside but that's because I hatch a lot of chicks and if I dug a hole every time I disposed of infertile eggs my yard would look like I have moles. LOL :lau

Thanks! I'm glad you found the images helpful! Things to consider with those, in particular, is that Polish lay white eggs and white eggs are soooo easy to candle and see what's going on extremely early. I also have a little 1300 lumen LED flashlight that I use for candling so It's very bright and makes development even easier to see early! Even with white eggs I rarely give up on my eggs before day 10, sometimes more like day 15 if it's a dark egg such as Marans. Picture for example of a Marans hatch I did earlier this month.

View attachment 1882707
Hmmm....I might have an egg that looks like that. I do think I see shadows. Just no veining. But the egg shells are very mottled and it makes it hard to see what I'm looking at. Maybe I should give them a little longer?

Back
Top Bottom