SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Hopefully these are better. I'm thinking this one is a loss. But some experienced input would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20190822_205916.jpg
    20190822_205916.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190822_205909.jpg
    20190822_205909.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190822_205755.jpg
    20190822_205755.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190822_205836.jpg
    20190822_205836.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 7
Hopefully these are better. I'm thinking this one is a loss. But some experienced input would be appreciated
Thanks for sharing the pics! Very helpful for comparison as I candle my batch. Batches. I just started a second set. I mean, hey, I have two broodies, someone offered me more eggs....voila! Chicken math in action!

I'm seeing that you had marked the air-cell in it. I am not seeing any of the spider vein's that should have clearly been seen in an egg with an air-cell that big. That egg is done.

BO = Buff Orpington. They are my favorite hens, so sweet and lay nice big eggs. And they don't fly! The incubator is called the Little Giant. It's a styro type, and definitely not my first choice, but all I could get in a day's notice. This wasn't something I planned. I had a broody hen and thought I'd give her the opportunity to hatch out some babies, so I ordered some, since I don't have a rooster. Then she decided she wasn't broody anymore. Probably my fault because I kept taking her unfertilized eggs. :he So eggs arrived and I needed to do something. :barnie Now I am learning as I go and hope for lots of help from my friends here on BYC! It will be fun hatching together! :wee:ya
In spring I’m going to hatch Buff Orpington’s but gah this makes me want to do it now. I must resist.

First Casualty of the september hatch. I dropped a Golden Phoenix egg while turning it by hand. oops! I had 13 of those and really only need one female to hatch so not a big loss. I need to grip them a little better.
Aw I broke 2 of mine on my very first go at incubating. I felt like a murderer!! Glad your not too upset

How many days in incubator?
I'm seeing that you had marked the air-cell in it. I am not seeing any of the spider vein's that should have clearly been seen in an egg with an air-cell that big. That egg is done.
I just set them yesterday. My guess is this one got forgotten in the coop a couple days before it was found and given to me with the others. I candled them all and marked their air sacs, dated and labeled them all, so I could have better records. Some had really large air sacs, a couple had tiny ones, and a couple I couldn't see the air sac in.

My last bunch I incubated only had 3 out 40 hatch. But those eggs came from a flock that was older and possibly not healthy. These ones came from someone different so I'm hoping for better results this time. I've never had such a disappointing hatch
20190822_182925.jpg
20190822_182937.jpg
20190822_182943.jpg

I'm joining the hatch-a-long for the first time ever. I'm hatching eggs from my two favorite sweetheart BSL hens and a silver-laced Wyandotte. Dad is either a golden neck D'uccle or a lavendar Orpington. We are choosing good health and temperament for our barnyard mix flock, but we are expecting some fun colors.

We have 9 eggs total due to hatch September 5th. One of my BSL hens is the only out of my mostly black flock with a purple sheen, so that will hopefully carry on to her 3 chicks. If orpington is dad, chicks will be black. If d'uccle is dad, we are looking forward to blue laced red, gold, or blue chicks. The 2 Wyandotte eggs might hatch out either solid black or blue laced gold. I love suprises!

Back
Top Bottom