SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
@jeepgirl13 If you just set them yesterday, then by all mean's give that egg a chance. Check them by candling at day 5 or 6 to see if you see any of those veins.
That was the plan!! I figured it's not hurting anyone if I try, and I'm potentially loosing a chick if I dont. Plus, I had read other success stories on here about partially developed eggs successfully hatching after an interruption early in the process. Fingers crossed!!:fl

How often do yall candle? I usually candle when I set them, then again at days 7, 1 . And 18 right before lockdown.

I have a few questions for all you experienced chick hatchers and raisers. Out of 13 eggs shipped, only one egg every properly grew in the incubator. I think it was due mainly to rough shipping, and partially because the condition of the eggs indicated the hens are in very close quarters and sleeping in their nesting boxes. But, happily, I have this one little fighter and I'm hoping it will hatch. I am on day 13 atm. :fl

Before this little one hatches, I want to be ready for anything, so have been shopping for whatever I might need. I have raised all my chickens from day old chicks, but I had good reason to believe they were all healthy when I got them.

This time I'm going to try the heating plate instead of a brooder light, thinking a lone chick might like having a cuddly little cave to go into. Have any of you used one of these?

I picked up Corid, Vit B12 and Nutridrench, just in case. but, then I also bought medicated feed so the Corid may never be needed. Why does the medicated seed say "for prevention of coccidiosis when immunity is not desired"? Why wouldn't I want immunity?

I have never had to use any of these items for any of my chickens, but just have a feeling this time might be different. If I have to use one, what would be the dose for a chick for Corid, Vit B12 or Nutridrench? Should I also pick up Save a Chick, or is that the same as Nutridrench?

Sorry for the long post. :rolleyes: And thanks for any advice you can give me.

I too was wondering about the medicated feed thing. I chose get the non medicated feed, since reading that confused me.

It sounds like you've got it covered. Might want to have vet wrap and duct tape on hand. My last hatch had a little splay legged chick in it. Ended up having to wrap his legs together with vet wrap and leave him in a chick chair for a few days. He came out of the chair a couple days ago, and I took his hobbles off today when i got home to give his legs some fresh air. Hes still a bit unstable, so I'm going to wrap him up again here in a bit. Incredible improvement tho! That story is in another thread somewhere.

I too was wondering about the medicated feed thing. I chose get the non medicated feed, since reading that confused me.

It sounds like you've got it covered. Might want to have vet wrap and duct tape on hand. My last hatch had a little splay legged chick in it. Ended up having to wrap his legs together with vet wrap and leave him in a chick chair for a few days. He came out of the chair a couple days ago, and I took his hobbles off today when i got home to give his legs some fresh air. Hes still a bit unstable, so I'm going to wrap him up again here in a bit. Incredible improvement tho! That story is in another thread somewhere.
Sounds like your chick is improving nicely. I wish the best for her/him. Thanks for the encouragement! I hope someone can explain the medicated feed confusion. It seems pretty odd to me.

Back
Top Bottom