SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
What breeds will you be setting?

Light Sussex x Light Sussex mix. One chick came out Light Sussex and the other is anyones guess, Sussex mix..lol

20190820_183159.jpg

Another question...should I just go get a couple of chicks to add to the brooder when the time comes?
Yes, or something similar. Chickens need a flock, or at least a companion. I've heard someone - I think it was Temple Grandin - compare the mental health effects of keeping a social animal by itself to putting a human in solitary confinement.

Last edited:
Day 10 here. My beautiful Marans eggs are down to 6 remaining. Shipping was a lot harder on them than I thought. Lots of quitters and super wonky air cells. Of the 6 remaining 3 have movement. 2 had definite development but are too dark to tell it they're still going. The last one I think is also a quitter but I'm not quite ready to call it. I'll be grateful for whatever hatches. I hope everyone else's hatches are going smoother than mine.

I currently have 39 of 42 eggs collected for the 2nd September hatch, I go into lock down Friday night (or very early Saturday Morning) and around labor day I should be getting pips and early hatchers. 2nd September hatch will be Ayam Cemani (estimate 18+) Domoniques (12+) and Pure Bred Dorkings (12+) I will also have a Naked Neck or 2 just to give me a few extra of those if I have space. I haven't really been collecting those but as I am prepping the incubator I will snag a few as my extras stacked on the side.

The ones hatching in about a week.. I have Dark Cornish (about 5) Golden Phoenix (About 5) Black/Blue/Splash Americuna (12) Ayam Cemani (15) Naked necks with 1/4 Red Ranger (8) and Seramas (8). When I went to trace out my Air pocket in the egg I noticed one of the eggs was fat end down and had been the entire hatch. Its still alive so I guess that's not a deal breaker of a mistake. I have done this before but caught it candling right away this time I must have gotten into a going through the motions looking for blood vessels and not fully inspecting eggs when I candled. I corrected the situation and it would be interesting to see if this chick hatches.

I currently have 39 of 42 eggs collected for the 2nd September hatch, I go into lock down Friday night (or very early Saturday Morning) and around labor day I should be getting pips and early hatchers. 2nd September hatch will be Ayam Cemani (estimate 18+) Domoniques (12+) and Pure Bred Dorkings (12+) I will also have a Naked Neck or 2 just to give me a few extra of those if I have space. I haven't really been collecting those but as I am prepping the incubator I will snag a few as my extras stacked on the side.

The ones hatching in about a week.. I have Dark Cornish (about 5) Golden Phoenix (About 5) Black/Blue/Splash Americuna (12) Ayam Cemani (15) Naked necks with 1/4 Red Ranger (8) and Seramas (8). When I went to trace out my Air pocket in the egg I noticed one of the eggs was fat end down and had been the entire hatch. Its still alive so I guess that's not a deal breaker of a mistake. I have done this before but caught it candling right away this time I must have gotten into a going through the motions looking for blood vessels and not fully inspecting eggs when I candled. I corrected the situation and it would be interesting to see if this chick hatches.

Im so excited for your hatch... I love getting to read about your hatches, they are always such cool breeds.

Just found a crack in one of the second batch, which is under a first-time broody silkie, outside in 100 degree weather. Debating whether to patch it with beeswax, or just leave it and hope for the best. That clutch of eggs is on Day 7. Any recommendations?
If it was me I would toss any cracked eggs but you are looking at 2 totally different options. My worthless uneducated advice is to use beeswax... I have never done either of the 2 options presented and only responded no one else did. I wish you luck either way you choose to go.

Back
Top Bottom