SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
@Compost King How do you build your little separation cage? I've been meaning to ask about that. They look like they come in handy.

I will post a link to a guy making Rabbit cages, I originally made it with 1 inch Hardware Cloth and found Seramas and OEG Bantams can just squeeze through. So I kept connecting left over small pieces of 1/2 inch Hardware cloth around it until eventually I had the whole thing covered. The guy making Rabbit cages just show the equipment needed and how to use it, obviously you would be making a much smaller cage. When I first made mine I could not fit the top of the incubator on so I had to shorten it 1 inch. it can get tricky.

The Hardware Cloth he used for the bottom of the Rabbit Cage is fine, you can use cheaper 1/2 hardware cloth too. the one 1 Inch he uses for the sides and tops of the cages is too big for Bantams, Seramas and some Large Fowl that start off small like Pheonix. Sometimes the Tool used to close the J-Clamps is tricky to use with smaller hardware cloths but its possible although frustrating.

Last picture post of our first (micro) batch. We're 3 for 3, as of around 9 AM. New mom is doing splendidly - very sweet and protective. Looks like at least 1 each cockerel and pullet, going by the wild-type pattern definition (the cockerel just hatched this morning and is still hiding under mom). The blond one, no way to know yet. Two more due to hatch next week under our other first time mom. IMG_20190902_114841.jpg

Who would think dropping the temp 0.2 of a degree would cause my humidity to plummet? :barnie:he. At a loss of how to raise it. All the overflow holes underneath are over flowing, and the 2 chux I laid out flat it just won't get over 60%. Whose idea was it to hatch ducklings first? :smack to myself. I see a pekin beak sticking out this morning, but the membrane is a touch yellow. Lots of other pips happening.

Who would think dropping the temp 0.2 of a degree would cause my humidity to plummet? :barnie:he. At a loss of how to raise it. All the overflow holes underneath are over flowing, and the 2 chux I laid out flat it just won't get over 60%. Whose idea was it to hatch ducklings first? :smack to myself. I see a pekin beak sticking out this morning, but the membrane is a touch yellow. Lots of other pips happening.

It may just be taking longer to warm the water. When you add a lot of water at once the incubator has to warm it up before you see an increase in humidity. When I'm on hatch day and I'm concerned and need to open the incubator I'll actually slightly warm the water in the microwave and put some drops in to speed things up. You don't want to add too much of the heated water as it can increase temp as well but it works.

Last picture post of our first (micro) batch. We're 3 for 3, as of around 9 AM. New mom is doing splendidly - very sweet and protective. Looks like at least 1 each cockerel and pullet, going by the wild-type pattern definition (the cockerel just hatched this morning and is still hiding under mom). The blond one, no way to know yet. Two more due to hatch next week under our other first time mom.View attachment 1896277

I love the little calico looking peep! What brees is it? Mix?

Ok not great pics but a few from this morning View attachment 1896530

:love

I had 26 hatch, 22 fail, some never pipped, some of the eggs I bought were double yolkers. My own eggs did far better than the ones I bought. I am happy although I only had one Dark Cornish survive. I am hoping for a male but if its a female I will manage.

Time to clean the Incubator and load it up for the 2nd Sept Hatch.

Back
Top Bottom