SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
We have a bubba! My humidity drop was after adjusting temp with no added water. After wrapping around outside with towels (careful to leave vents clear) the humidity went back to normal. Phew.

Attachments

• 20190903_102533.jpg
    20190903_102533.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi All, a bit slow to join the September hatch a long, but we set 24 guinea fowl eggs from a prairie nest that we found. Eggs were set Aug 17, so we are on day 17 today. Eggs should hatch between Sept 12-14 (26-28 days). Eggs were candled at two weeks: 2 quitters and 6 clear eggs (only one guinea male for 7 females). So, we have 16 developing eggs left. Incubating in a digital Hovobator with automatic turner, calibrated wireless temperature probe and hygrometer.

Hi All, a bit slow to join the September hatch a long, but we set 24 guinea fowl eggs from a prairie nest that we found. Eggs were set Aug 17, so we are on day 17 today. Eggs should hatch between Sept 12-14 (26-28 days). Eggs were candled at two weeks: 2 quitters and 6 clear eggs (only one guinea male for 7 females). So, we have 16 developing eggs left. Incubating in a digital Hovobator with automatic turner, calibrated wireless temperature probe and hygrometer.

Another big(ish) guinea hatch from @Mixed flock enthusiast, this could get interesting :gig:pop:caf

Another big(ish) guinea hatch from @Mixed flock enthusiast, this could get interesting :gig:pop:caf
Ok, not to jinx myself, but this will be a calm, cool, collected hatch!!! :lau At least these eggs were all set together, though it was so hot when they were laid that I think some started to develop, thus the quitters and a few developing eggs that were further along. These were eggs that my DD wanted to hatch and sell as part of her poultry business, so I’m just kind of helping out... OK, Already hit a snag - my mom (DD’s grandma), myself, and DD were supposed to visit Colorado Springs to help my sister move into her new place, on Sept 13, right when eggs are due... Looks like DD may be staying home to hatch eggs. Grandma, who already thinks that this poultry hobby is quite out of hand, is not going to be happy...:oops:

Ok, not to jinx myself, but this will be a calm, cool, collected hatch!!! :lau At least these eggs were all set together, though it was so hot when they were laid that I think some started to develop, thus the quitters and a few developing eggs that were further along. These were eggs that my DD wanted to hatch and sell as part of her poultry business, so I’m just kind of helping out... OK, Already hit a snag - my mom (DD’s grandma), myself, and DD were supposed to visit Colorado Springs to help my sister move into her new place, on Sept 13, right when eggs are due... Looks like DD may be staying home to hatch eggs. Grandma, who already thinks that this poultry hobby is quite out of hand, is not going to be happy...:oops:

Sounds like you have an awesome DD, I wish I had people willing to buy stuff around here, if i did I would be hatching nonstop.

Sounds like you have an awesome DD, I wish I had people willing to buy stuff around here, if i did I would be hatching nonstop.
She’s a peach for sure! Oklahoma is tick central, so people want guineas for tick control. Few people manage to keep them safe (they give up on the coop and let them roost in trees) so they keep buying them! We had no trouble selling this summer, at a low price of $3/keet, but we will see about fall sales... I tried not to talk too much with the buyers, but a few told me anyway about how many guineas they were losing to predators or how their dog ate them, which is not fun to contemplate for the sweet keets we’ve just hatched!

She’s a peach for sure! Oklahoma is tick central, so people want guineas for tick control. Few people manage to keep them safe (they give up on the coop and let them roost in trees) so they keep buying them! We had no trouble selling this summer, at a low price of $3/keet, but we will see about fall sales... I tried not to talk too much with the buyers, but a few told me anyway about how many guineas they were losing to predators or how their dog ate them, which is not fun to contemplate for the sweet keets we’ve just hatched!

aww, id be tellin em to build more coops! lol

Back
Top Bottom