SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Finally looked back for my lockdown pics from the last batch.... I had lost track of how many marans I had hatched, went into lockdown with 9 eggs and only had one not hatch, so I should have 8 running around in the brooder. Oh I hatched a few others at the same time but lost trac of those also....sigh I need to quit hatching for a while. Just 4 more batches. Right?
at least lol, then when your done with those 4 you can always grab more coffee a breath and think about it some more while your putting the next hatch in lol

I have 40 eggs hatching now (due in about 6 hours).
Another 34 due to hatch Monday evening and 47 due to hatch on the 18th.
All are Black Penedesenca chickens.
I recieved some black penedesenca with more order from sandhill preservation center.... of course I had also ordered black austolorp so here I am at 3.5 months and I still am not sure witch ones are the penedesenca.... sigh I am looking forward to learning about them

I recieved some black penedesenca with more order from sandhill preservation center.... of course I had also ordered black austolorp so here I am at 3.5 months and I still am not sure witch ones are the penedesenca.... sigh I am looking forward to learning about them
If you post some pictures I can probably tell them apart for you. The Aorps should have red earlobes and a single comb, the Penedesencas should have white earlobes and a carnation comb. I don't know if Glen selects for white lobes so they may have been lost in his birds.

If you post some pictures I can probably tell them apart for you. The Aorps should have red earlobes and a single comb, the Penedesencas should have white earlobes and a carnation comb. I don't know if Glen selects for white lobes so they may have been lost in his birds.
Thank you for that clarification.... I have been looking at combs expecting a difference but seeing none??? Maybe I missed it. I will try to grab pics.... there are a lot in that pen and they move fast!

Thank you for that clarification.... I have been looking at combs expecting a difference but seeing none??? Maybe I missed it. I will try to grab pics.... there are a lot in that pen and they move fast!
Yes, they run like the wind.
It is sometimes difficult to see the rear side sprigs on pullets' combs but they should be obvious on cockerels. By a month of age Pene cockerel combs will be much bigger that the Aorp cockerels'.
I would go in the coop at night with a helper and flashlight. Pick them off the roost one at a time and take a good look at the rear of the comb to find side sprigs. The earlobes should be obvious from a distance. As I said, Glen Drowns may not be selecting for white lobes and carnation combs (but he should). He admits to select primarily for egg color.
I translated the standards from Catalonian, Argentinian and Irish websites. I try to select for all those standards and cull those that don't adhere.
After your after dusk inspection, I would leg band either the obvious Penes and/or the Aorps.

Last edited:
:eek: how big is your backyard?!?
My whole property is about an acre. But it is long and wedge shaped with the narrow end in front of the house which makes the back of the property much wider. I have 2 coops and another breeder complex with 5 units. I'm dismantling an old grow out coop that turned out not to be completely predator proof. I'm replacing it with 2 small versions of a wood's style coop. Each will be 99 sq. ft. and divided into 3 units each. (Building permit required for anything over 100 sq. ft.):oops:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom