SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
14 have hatched. I'm pretty sure the last 6 failed, but giving another 24hrs to be sure. All in all for a first time in a decade, with ducklings and shipped eggs, I'm pretty happy with the hatch. Next up will be 5x silkiexflavorellexsilkie, 5x RIWxAustralorp and 3xblack australorpxblue australorp

Attachments

• 20190905_071257.jpg
    20190905_071257.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 2
just finished an article from the Brinsea website that actually states that a daily cool off period will increase hatching rate. the premise is that in nature a hen will get up from the nest for up to half an hour to an hour and the eggs will cool slightly.

Interesting theory and the study results seem and I do say seem to validate the premise. So I am not going to be so anal about setting an 8 minute timer to rush through candling anymore.

On another note, as I was hand turning the extra CCL eggs sent to me that are kind of stuck in weird spots in the nurture right 360, I decided to candle one of the extra ones.

And I have an embryo at day 4.

I am so itching to candle them all now, but will wait until day 7 when I will weigh and candle each of them.

I don't want to jinx myself, but for shipped eggs, after a 24 hour rest, I had intact air cells in 21 eggs and the other 3 the shells were opaque and I could not see past the shell to verify what if anything was inside.

14 have hatched. I'm pretty sure the last 6 failed, but giving another 24hrs to be sure. All in all for a first time in a decade, with ducklings and shipped eggs, I'm pretty happy with the hatch. Next up will be 5x silkiexflavorellexsilkie, 5x RIWxAustralorp and 3xblack australorpxblue australorp
Wow! Awesome hatch of shipped duck eggs!!! What does a silkie x Favorelles look like??? Sounds cute!

OK this is a first for me, none of the eggs were double yokers but in one of the new layers a RIW there are 2 distinctive movements when candled at day 8. Removed 3 interfiles and still have a questionable one looks like might be just slower developing no blood rings or anything so 12 are still in the incubator.

@Ridgerunner

or anyone else that's hatched ever see this? I am not usually candling until next week at this stage of development just before lock down

Last edited:
My whole property is about an acre. But it is long and wedge shaped with the narrow end in front of the house which makes the back of the property much wider. I have 2 coops and another breeder complex with 5 units. I'm dismantling an old grow out coop that turned out not to be completely predator proof. I'm replacing it with 2 small versions of a wood's style coop. Each will be 99 sq. ft. and divided into 3 units each. (Building permit required for anything over 100 sq. ft.):oops:
I completely understand the building permit thing. Here anything over 120 sq feet requires one

Wow! Awesome hatch of shipped duck eggs!!! What does a silkie x Favorelles look like??? Sounds cute!
I can't be 100% hes half favorelle, thats just going off how he looks(you know how when you have chickens everyone gifts you their unwanted chickens? Thats what happened). But he definitely has silkie legs and the fluff under those regal feathers. So what ever cross he is, he went over his silkie lady friend who he came with.
20190615_095340.jpg

just finished an article from the Brinsea website that actually states that a daily cool off period will increase hatching rate. the premise is that in nature a hen will get up from the nest for up to half an hour to an hour and the eggs will cool slightly.

Interesting theory and the study results seem and I do say seem to validate the premise. So I am not going to be so anal about setting an 8 minute timer to rush through candling anymore.

On another note, as I was hand turning the extra CCL eggs sent to me that are kind of stuck in weird spots in the nurture right 360, I decided to candle one of the extra ones.

And I have an embryo at day 4.

I am so itching to candle them all now, but will wait until day 7 when I will weigh and candle each of them.

I don't want to jinx myself, but for shipped eggs, after a 24 hour rest, I had intact air cells in 21 eggs and the other 3 the shells were opaque and I could not see past the shell to verify what if anything was inside.
That does sound interesting! I know alot of duck incubators swear by cooling eggs daily along with the misting but had wondered why chickeners didn't do the cooling part

I can't be 100% hes half favorelle, thats just going off how he looks(you know how when you have chickens everyone gifts you their unwanted chickens? Thats what happened). But he definitely has silkie legs and the fluff under those regal feathers. So what ever cross he is, he went over his silkie lady friend who he came with.View attachment 1898835
Awwww! Adorable!!!

Back
Top Bottom