SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Ok question for the experts.

I have one chick in the incubator that seems to be drying slower than the others did. Should I just leave it in there longer? Its been in for around 18-20 hours currently.
I never leave in more than 12 hours.

Just ensure protection from drafts.

Of course the chick can “make it” with three days of no food and water but that doesn’t mean they should. My broody has hers out eating well before that, and every chick I pull at 12 hours is ravenously eating food. Because of that, I refuse to leave them in.

On another note, my Delawares finally arrived today.... BUT.... my Broilers are lost. There’s a small chance they could still arrive this afternoon but who knows. I hope.... meat chicks without food for three days is really not good.

One Delaware dead in the box. It also looks like the box spent a fair amount of time upside down. A literally wtf moment. HOW does that happen? There was poop all over the inside of the lid. The other 24 is high are all eating and drinking Nutri drench after their journey.

Tentative good news - the new little one is out and fluffy. It's not yet running around with the big kids: it can't stand yet. Mom is a little confused (okay, freaking out) about why she has a chick just sitting there peeping instead of following her around the pen, so I had to go in there and coax her to settle back down on the little one (it's CRISP this morning - brrrrrr), but all is well for the moment. I'll check again before I leave for work, and aim to get a pic when I get home this afternoon. We've named it Pigwidgeon after the tiny owl in the Harry Potter series. The others are Fredricka, Georgina, and Ginny.
So assuming that it gets up and moving, that's 4 of 5 OD eggs that hatched under broodies, and the fifth was well on its way before a predator took off with it. MUCH MUCH better hatch rate than we had in an incubator, which was 2 of 9 (and one of those had to have serious assistance).
Had to rig a separate heating unit (heating pad over wire frame, covered with a towel) for the little one so it could stay warm and rest. Mom is too busy trying to keep up with the older ones. Will see if it's walking on its own tonight and try sneaking it back under her during the night.

Had to rig a separate heating unit (heating pad over wire frame, covered with a towel) for the little one so it could stay warm and rest. Mom is too busy trying to keep up with the older ones. Will see if it's walking on its own tonight and try sneaking it back under her during the night.
Sounds like a plan, she can see it is from her nest so may be more willing to take it in but be prepared to brood it if needed, took me almost a week and her chicks were the ones that convinced her to accept the little late one

my broody had a good stretch while out yesterday; only 8 days to go now... P1080817.JPG P1080820.JPG

Back
Top Bottom