SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
@wolfwalker there is still chance for the last one I think and if it is really the last one, and no yolk, could you assist?
the fun starts, one thing I do is put paper towel down before setting the eggs helps so they don't accidentally slip, have treated a lot less splayed leg since doing that
Won't paper towel block the water from evaporating and keep the humidity low? I fill up the bottom of the incubator with water and then have a plastic net on the top.

@wolfwalker there is still chance for the last one I think and if it is really the last one, and no yolk, could you assist?

Won't paper towel block the water from evaporating and keep the humidity low? I fill up the bottom of the incubator with water and then have a plastic net on the top.
it hasn't so far, been an issue as it doesn't completely cover the ends are still open . another idea would be that rubber stuff they use at light the restaurants that is small mesh to keep glasses from moving all over the place, I don't like the plastic or wire ones that have come with them, splay leg or injuries catching in the metal ones for a baby chick that's is why I do that, if anything the humidity stays up better as it's just one layer of paper towel

I wouldn't use metal wire as well. I use this one, I made it from plastic building wire leftovers.
IMG_20190921_075556.jpg

I have a question about Leghorns.. I just candled my third Leghorns eggs and it seems again they are all infertile. What is with this breed? I have been trying to hatch Leghorns, bought eggs from 3 different suppliers so far and NONE of them was fertile. Is it the breed or the time of the year (approaching winter and getting cold)? All these 3 suppliers have roosters, I have seen them...

I have a question about Leghorns.. I just candled my third Leghorns eggs and it seems again they are all infertile. What is with this breed? I have been trying to hatch Leghorns, bought eggs from 3 different suppliers so far and NONE of them was fertile. Is it the breed or the time of the year (approaching winter and getting cold)? All these 3 suppliers have roosters, I have seen them...

I dont know about that, I have had 2 recent batches of about 13 leghorns, and all of them were fertile. Sorry those are infertile!

sorry to hear that, Leghorns are my favorite breed but I have limited experience hatching them. I have my first ever leghorn hatching egg in lockdown now and it was fertile. 2 rooster over 6 hens. They just started laying so thats why I only had one, I was testing fertility. Next hatch I will have about 7 of them, not sure how many I had I just got back from a Chicken Stock where I sold some and I haven't done a return inventory yet but I believe I will have about 7 come time to set the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom