SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Pictures of the hatch, looks like 13 out of 45 have been liberated from the calcium prison, 32 more to go. New pips forming every time I peak in.
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 7
but I have a white chick (possible red because its hard to see in there) that I should not have
Myster Solved! I forgot I had one Rhode Island White X Red Ranger egg in there. The Hen came out of Molt then laid 2 eggs (one infertile) then went on egg laying strike. I figured I should hatch this one because she may never lay again... its not an egger hen, its a meat bird hen and I do not know how long she lays for. maybe they only lay for a year?

as far the hatch, I believe I counted 23 chicks (out of 45) so more than half have hatched now. I won't be able to count them come morning because it will be too crowded. Took some more pictures.
IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2899.JPG IMG_2905.JPG IMG_2908.JPG

@Compost King are you able to time how long does it take from first pip to last hatched chicken for all the eggs?
about 2 days, but each hatch is different. 2 or 3 hatches ago I had eggs that pipped 2 day early and other eggs that didn't pip until 2 days after the scheduled hatch day. Yolk size compared to Embryo Size is why I believe there is a difference. I had eggs from my Dorking x Red Ranger crosses that were huge eggs and the Embryos were so large at hatch that they ran out of Yolk to feed on 2 days early, my Red Ranger Eggs that I hatched in the same hatch had a huge Yolk and when I did an Eggtapsey on some I found they were still alive and had a lot of yolk left. Then I let a few hatch out after killing some during an eggtapsy. It went on for 2 days after the hatch. I am still learning this stuff but I believe yolk size determines early or late hatchlings. I may come up with a different theory after my next hatch disaster. Seems the bad hatches are the ones where I learn the most.

Egg size as well as yolks size would be my guess... I remembered why I try to set eggs of about the same size this last hatch. I set s bunch of the small red broiler eggs and a few of the much bigger leghorn cross eggs. The red broiler eggs hatched beautifully but the bigger eggs looked like the ones that piped drown... they just had too much liquid left. Next time I get groggy about hatching big eggs I will just run big eggs and keep the humidity lower

Back
Top Bottom