September Hatch-A-Long!

Well did a quick candle again tonight. ALL quit except for two
sad.png
one which I put under my broody just a little bit ago. What could've happened? I saw movement in 4 on day 5 (Sunday) and then I pulled the one from my broody and put it in my incubator because she quit for a night and then started sitting ago. Temps in my incubator have been a solid 99.5/99.6 being turned every 45 minutes. I have a Brinsea mini advance.

Omg just candled tonight day 10 took out all clears (11)and blood rings died early (6)leaves me with 29 definite movement and 2 I can't see through the egg so I left them in for a total of 31 and I have a double yoker that has 2 moving chicks in it omg now I'm scared they won't make it I've was just watching videos of assisting a double yoker but I don't have much hope as I have never assisted before I was shocked to see 2 moving chicks in there anybody have experience with this before?
I am not sure, I have one Leghorn egg that was quite large. I candled before setting it and thought there was only one yolk. Now on day 15 I almost think I see shadows that look wrong - like maybe there is two in there. But I am not sure - because there is also still a lot of space in there and it seems like a large egg with 2 chicks would still be pretty full by now ?? We'll see - either way - good luck with yours!

I had to order mine from Amazon
hmm.png
Not great when you really NEED it, which is why I ordered mine even though I didn't need any. I read about someone else's experience and immediately realized I needed it on hand just in case. I hope you can get ahold of some in time.
I finally found it.

mine was them chewing on the pine bedding resolved it's self the same day....but I don't let my free range birds anywhere near the young ones environment....
I'm still hopng this is the problem, but I will medicate everyone just in case.

that's what I do....I keep supplies on hand
I have been looking for it ever since I bought my first chick. The stores have been out or quickly sell out. It has been so hot here I didn't know if the heat would ruinit if it was shipped. Also TSC kept saying they would have it in 3 days, for 5 months. Today the guy said asked me- what is it, what is it made out of and where should it be in the store, then told me they don't carry it.

Deanna, I literally just went through this with one of my chicks 3 days ago. It was a struggle to find the stuff as well. If you pm me your address I can send you some if you can't find any today. No charge but you can pay me back shipping afterwards if you'd like. I just want you to get the meds you need. I know my baby getting sick scared the crud out of me and I'd hate for anything to happen to yours when I have extra meds right here.
Thanks, but I did get some. That is very nice of you. I really apreciate it.

I finally got home at 8:30PM but I found some corid. It's liquid and very concentrated since it's for cows. I had to drive aways to get it. As I expected. When I got home I found a dead silkie. It hasn''t even been in the same room. I use sanitizer every time Itouch them. They are only 5 days old and another isn't as perky as the rest. The one that pooped blood is still pooping blood but much less. It is not acting sick at all. I have bleached everything that touches every indoor chick. I will do the outside ones tomorrow. It was dark by the time I got home. It has taken me 2 1/2 hours and a dress. Bleach spots of course. Now I need advice on how much to add to a half gallon of water and do I stop the medicated feed. I'm going to Google it as well but I trust you guys more. So if anyone is up, let me know.

The good news is I have my first Isbar. The day has been bitter sweet. Finally got one of my dream chicks and lost another at the same time. Days like today make me start thinking about selling them all, then another one hatches and I forget all of the sad stuff.

Day 18 here with my mixed rare breeds. I hate waiting, LOL! I candled one last time and saw clear movement in all but one (I think Lavender) Orpington. So fingers crossed maybe all 9 will make it. This is my first hatch NOT using the dry hatch method. I kept the humidity around 45% the first 18 days (as was recommended by the breeder I got the eggs from based on her experience) and now 65 - 70% Come on chickies!! :fl

Day 18 here with my mixed rare breeds. I hate waiting, LOL! I candled one last time and saw clear movement in all but one (I think Lavender) Orpington. So fingers crossed maybe all 9 will make it. This is my first hatch NOT using the dry hatch method. I kept the humidity around 45% the first 18 days (as was recommended by the breeder I got the eggs from based on her experience) and now 65 - 70% Come on chickies!! :fl

Hope and believe that all will go well. The days from 18 on are the worst! It was like that when I had my first human baby, too :fl

Day 18 here with my mixed rare breeds. I hate waiting, LOL! I candled one last time and saw clear movement in all but one (I think Lavender) Orpington. So fingers crossed maybe all 9 will make it. This is my first hatch NOT using the dry hatch method. I kept the humidity around 45% the first 18 days (as was recommended by the breeder I got the eggs from based on her experience) and now 65 - 70% Come on chickies!!
fl.gif

What are all of the breeds? I know you probably already said, but my memory stinks.

What are all of the breeds?  I know you probably already said, but my memory stinks.
LOL, mine too! Lets see... Mille Fleur Leghorn, Swedish Flower Hen, Lavender Orpington (or maybe it was blue... don't recall), Apenzeller Spitzhauben, Apenzeller Barthuhner, Blue Isbars, and Crested Cream Legbars... I don't think I forgot anything...

Last edited:
LOL, mine too! Lets see... Mille Fleur Leghorn, Swedish Flower Hen, Lavender Orpington (or maybe it was blue... don't recall), Apenzeller Spitzhauben, Apenzeller Barthuhner, Blue Isbars, and Crested Cream Legbars... I don't think I forgot anything...

Ahhh, I remember now. I hope they all hatch. Or is it bad luck to say that? Maybe I should say "Break an egg."

What a day. All 83 chicks medicated. Containers, waterers, feeders sterilized. Sick chicks seperated into different rooms. Biggest pasty butt ever cleaned. (I don't know how it got that big so fast. I just checked them all a few hours ago.) 2 of today's hatch needed chick podiatry. One had curled toes and one had spay leg with one curled toe. One in a boot and one with splinted toes and legs connected. All of my eggs candled. I have everything to make a new roost for my big girls, they broke the old one. I have new buckets to start a few more batches of wine. An d I got a bunch of free wood from Home Depot that I'm going to use to build a couple small coops for my Legbars and Langshans. Most importantly, I took my medication, chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Finally, bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom