Serama Chick Care, Am I Doing It Right?

So. Snowbell got in a small fight with Jeremy. He has a tiny pin-prick sized scratch on his comb, and a shattered pride.
011880D1-7F38-4B0D-877D-B73C821B7307.jpeg

Only Jeremy and Snowbell were interested in posing for the camera... XD
Boo was trying to find a good way down, Betty was preening and Dolly was sleepy.
28C98157-F9CF-4C1A-B1C4-F74C95E71B4D.jpeg

Looks like you're doing everything right so far! Cherish those moments when they're tiny cuz they become sex mature VERY fast. Mine successfully hatched their first clutch at 5 months old 🤦🏻‍♀️ Looks like you've got some interesting colors in there too! I have a lot of weird light colored ones this year that I've never seen before. Elsa (down below) had a lemon blue mom but she looks like she has almost a lemon colored neck and head and then an almost lavender colored body; her mom was more of the bluish dun color.

They're an amazing breed though and just so much fun to have around. Glad to see more Serama folks these days 😁 I'm on my 3rd and 4th generation of breeding and coming up with some really beautiful results. Just try not to get addicted to hatching cuz omg, once you do, you'll never stop 🤣 Thank Odin I've got a friend around here who takes my cast offs to his farm otherwise I'd have hundreds by now.

This is my main breeding rooster right now, Blue. I've got a beautiful silkied roo coming up on maturity here really soon and he's getting paired with my frizzle girls so I can get some sizzles and other wild mixes.

View attachment 2744314
(*He had a REALLY bad molt between his juvenile and adult feathers. I almost thought he was a frazzle but he's filled in a LOT since then. I've long suspected he's a Sizzle himself because he's got a poofy tail and underside that's more like silkie feathering and his main frizzled feathers are a lot more shredded than I've ever noticed on any of my other frizzle chickens...without getting an up close inspection with Sigrid van Dort I doubt I'll ever know for sure, haha, but he's gorgeous. He was my little ugly duckling that turned into a beautiful swan!)

His main girl, Elsa
View attachment 2744315

And these are the Silkied ones when they first hatched 😍
View attachment 2744316
The little brown guy wound up being silkied and the only rooster and the black and white one next to him is also Silkied (though the other 2 carry the gene and have come out with beautiful mottling so far!)

I was lucky that my mom got me 2 new coops from TSC for Christmas so I finally got them set up. Blue and his girls are in this one and then once the Silkied guys and the newly hatched chicks from Blue's last 2 clutches get their juvenile feathers in, they're going into the same type of coop on the opposite side of the room, lol. They were on sale at the time for $200/piece so she got both for $400 which is NOT BAD AT ALL!
View attachment 2744317
View attachment 2744318
View attachment 2744319

We have a big shed (well more like a portable classroom since it's outfitted with electricity and lighting) out back that the previous owner of the home used for musket building that I kept them in last winter but when the snow hit it was so hard to get out there and change water kettles, sweep bedding, dust everything off, etc. in 8" of snow, especially when I caught COVID in January...so my husband said I could have the basement if I give him the shed 😆 I still take them out back where I pen them up in the yard but I like having them indoors with me, it's a lot easier to get access to them whenever I want to hold them or socialize them. I love how you've got little toy dollhouses and stuff in there for them! I did the same thing! My son and I went through his toys looking for stuff they could hide under or climb on and we set up a whole Thomas the Tank Engine village in the brooder box 😄

If you ever want some eggs with frizzle and silkie genes, feel free to PM me! At this point, I can't keep hatching and I'd rather give them away than toss them out 😔

Congrats on your Serama babies! How awesome you got them for free! We hatched ours last year at the beginning of the pandemic cuz my son's class didn't get to hatch chickens in class; it wound up being one of the best and most satisfying decisions of my life! They bring so much joy to our home and when we take them out and about to the local parks, people are always astounded to see how affectionate and cuddly they are. I consider myself a "brand ambassador" for Seramas and have been seeding the Pittsburgh area with plenty of Seramas that I couldn't keep due to lack of space. It's amazing what a difference a year makes in terms of how much more available they are and how many more people have them...I only wish I'd done it sooner!

Also, it's likely worth buying a membership to the Serama Council of North America (SCNA). A family membership is only $20/year and you can add as many people on as you want plus it gives you access to so many learning resources as well as virtual shows and show schedules and a whole lot more. Hope to see you around the Facebook Serama groups 😉
oh gosh, they’re so cute! I might have to PM you when my satin goes broody again :oops:

I have two that are being little hormonal arsewipes at the moment, and a third who is so sweet and I've called him Elvis. The other two can find new homes ASAP!

Poopyheads:
20210713_155209.jpg

Darling Elvis:

20210718_200458.jpg

They are in a bachelor flock right now, on account of the two Brothers Evil trying to rape everything in sight that has feathers.

Serama cockerels, anyone?? 😬

I have two that are being little hormonal arsewipes at the moment, and a third who is so sweet and I've called him Elvis. The other two can find new homes ASAP!

Poopyheads:
View attachment 2775714

Darling Elvis:

View attachment 2775715
They are in a bachelor flock right now, on account of the two Brothers Evil trying to rape everything in sight that has feathers.

awwwww, elvis *looks* like a total sweetheart too!

Poopyheads:
View attachment 2775714

Darling Elvis:

View attachment 2775715

If I didn’t have my two softie boys already, I’d adore the two poooyheads. XD

My hens, in particular Dolly and Boo, are pretty strict and Boo most likely would kick some sense into them. Betty is just a soft marshmallow, but with resting hen face.
4CC69D13-59EB-47DF-BD55-41D95B9DC927.jpeg
A2582CFF-0DC7-4053-A3EC-ECCBBC55C3D7.jpeg
69FAB69D-8731-4447-BC88-F1004D8A0B5D.jpeg

Both my boys are sweet little babies, though Elvis reminds me a lot of Snowbell in particular due to the gentle eyes. Snowbell does crow and mount, but both him and Jeremy are managing their hormones nicely.
228FF0B2-51D9-401D-BCF2-6F61CC3019BD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom