Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Do guys get better hatch results by hand turning eggs, or putting thrm in the verticle automatic turner?

Last edited:
Hello!

Will all the chicks look like this? Or is this the 25 percent. All my chicken were killed by a raccoon, so i have no choice but to hatch their eggs snd see what I GET. One hen was smooth feathered, while the rest were frizzles.
Unless you chickens are some of the rare few who carry a frizzle restrictor gene, there is a 25% chance your frizzle to frizzle will look like this. Chicks from the smooth hen wont have the same issue.

I LOVE my egg turner!
I only hand turn eggs with bad air cells. I'm having horrible luck hatching eggs right now, they are all hand turned shipped eggs. Out of 24 this time around I only had 3 make it to lock down. In the past I've used the turner on serama eggs with good air cells and had decent hatch rates. Next time I might just hand turn the first week then switch to the turner.

Its been about 6 years since I last kept serama so I'm currently trying to build a new flock..... not going great with the shipped eggs.

Good luck with your hatch.

The two chicks I'm assisting at the moment.

One is a pure serama, the other is a serama X bantam EE.

The third chick was upside down and didn't make it.

Both chicks internally piped yesterday. One chick probably didn't need help yet, and is in proper position, but the other piped away from the edge of the shell and would never had made it out on its own.

The two chicks I'm assisting at the moment.

One is a pure serama, the other is a serama X bantam EE.

The third chick was upside down and didn't make it.

Both chicks internally piped yesterday. One chick probably didn't need help yet, and is in proper position, but the other piped away from the edge of the shell and would never had made it out on its own.

Good luck, how are they doing?

I have my first silkied Serama eggs in the incubator today! I drove over two hours to get them. Of course none of my girls will go broody when I need them too. I left a pile of eggs in one coop to see if I can persuade them. I guess I will probably loose a few either way. I am super excited about them!! October 1st is day 21. I am going to pop some Silkie eggs in too because the silkies are so friendly it rubs off on my Serama chicks that are usually a bit more flighty.

Good luck, how are they doing?

Both are mostly still in their eggs. The serama EE has made some progress with the membrane and is stretching out its legs and wing a bit. The pure serama is just sitting in the egg cheeping every now and then. Membrane is moist, but the chick just ain't doing much.

Last edited:
I have my first silkied Serama eggs in the incubator today! I drove over two hours to get them. Of course none of my girls will go broody when I need them too. I left a pile of eggs in one coop to see if I can persuade them. I guess I will probably loose a few either way. I am super excited about them!! October 1st is day 21. I am going to pop some Silkie eggs in too because the silkies are so friendly it rubs off on my Serama chicks that are usually a bit more flighty.

I really want to have silkied serama!
That is what my last two serama shipments where supposed to have hatched out, but I'm just not having any luck with the shipped eggs.
Where did you get yours?

And if you do manage to get some silkied chicks to hatch would you mind selling me some offspring next year ;)
I need more reasons to go to Portland

I really want to have silkied serama!
That is what my last two serama shipments where supposed to have hatched out, but I'm just not having any luck with the shipped eggs.
Where did you get yours?

And if you do manage to get some silkied chicks to hatch would you mind selling me some offspring next year ;)
I need more reasons to go to Portland

I went to Salem for them... they are from very nice show quality Seramas. I should be able to hatch a pair!! I am so excited... This is gonna be a long three weeks! I got a few straight feathered eggs too. Their feathers are just like silkies, they are so fluffy. You need fluffy seramas seeing as your name is fluffyserama!

When I get over excited about chickens, I get a little ridiculous and giddy.

I had a silkied serama roo years ago. Then life took me to a tiny studio apartment near the pearl district,and I had to give up my flock. I gave my best seramas to my mother to keep for me but raccoons got them two weeks later.
Getting back into seramas the silkied roo and his hatching brother (who was shorter than a glass coke bottle) are what I am shooting for.

I also like tinted layers, hence the EE serama mixes.

Back
Top Bottom