Serama with swollen/irritated eye

Hi, the vet prescribed azithromycin 1 ml per day. He also told us to treat them right away with pox vacc. so tonight that is the plan we have over 100 chickens so that will take us a little bit of time!
We may see an improvement but the little ones with the problem will always be a carrier if this is oh I forgot the name but it is contagious and you want to get the sick birds away from the flock asap and clean the roost and flooring daily.
Best of luck to you.

have you read this posting and thread? they have VERY interesting issue there, and they talk about similar issues and the problem I can't remember the name of also!

Weird Eye Issue with two of my girls!
Let me know what you think of this posting!
Kathi Winter Haven FL

Tony, just joining on to your thread as I have a hen with one very swollen eye right now, which appeared out of nowhere. Her eye has no pus, bubbles, etc. At least not yet, this appeared out of nowhere sometime between 8am and about 1pm.

I did take her to the vet this afternoon. He didn't see much evidence of respiratory issues (again, at least not yet). He did send me home with Baytril. She's about 6 lbs, so her Baytril dose is 0.7 mL.

I just started a new thread for her, I'll keep that posted this week as I pursue this treatment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and sending good thoughts for your little roo.

I wish I could point to a specific thread, but I remember some time ago I read a thread where there was a lot of crusty pus in a chicken's eye, and the person really did have to get surprisingly aggressive with soaking the eye with warm cloths and really prying the crusty pus out. I'm sure it was on this forum but am not sure what the thread was, unfortunately. Maybe you can find it if you continue searching.

have  you read this posting and thread? they have VERY interesting  issue there, and they talk about similar issues and the problem I can't remember the name of also!

Weird Eye Issue with two of my girls!
Let me know what you think of this posting!
Kathi Winter Haven FL
Wow no, I hadn't read that one but yes very interesting. I think I may try the vetrx tomorrow and see what happens. Please keep me/us posted on how your girls take to the meds. Good luck!

Update.. I've been flushing the eyes twice a day and applying vetrx to the roof of the mouth, around the nostrils and the eyes. I've also added a few drops in his water and still haven't seen any results. He's still eating and drinking like normal and doesn't act sick in any way. I've tried to look for an avian vet in my area with no results. Not sure what to do next.

How much goopy discharge is still there? Have you been able to peel it away or is his eye still covered?
There's new puss in there now. I try and remove it every two days or so as it builds up. I have to wait for it to become thick enough to be able to remove it with tweezers as it doesn't wipe away.

Tony, just joining on to your thread as I have a hen with one very swollen eye right now, which appeared out of nowhere. Her eye has no pus, bubbles, etc. At least not yet, this appeared out of nowhere sometime between 8am and about 1pm.

I did take her to the vet this afternoon. He didn't see much evidence of respiratory issues (again, at least not yet). He did send me home with Baytril. She's about 6 lbs, so her Baytril dose is 0.7 mL.

I just started a new thread for her, I'll keep that posted this week as I pursue this treatment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and sending good thoughts for your little roo.

I wish I could point to a specific thread, but I remember some time ago I read a thread where there was a lot of crusty pus in a chicken's eye, and the person really did have to get surprisingly aggressive with soaking the eye with warm cloths and really prying the crusty pus out. I'm sure it was on this forum but am not sure what the thread was, unfortunately. Maybe you can find it if you continue searching.
Is that Baytril 10% or 2.27%?

-Kathy

Edited to change 22.7 to 2.27! Sorry!

Last edited:

This what I'm using

Back
Top Bottom