Serious about Chanteclers...

How often should I let my brood pullet (Diana Berry) roam?

Until today she would leave or be chased from the brood cage, no more. She would also venture outside starting about 3 days after the others were leaving (two seeks come Sunday); she gets some time outside everyday but not major.

There is both food and water inside her space.
If she has room to poop you don't have to let her out at all.
Outside time every day is good tho, as long as she can get back to the nest when she wants,
but then you have to check for 'donation' eggs(from other hens) daily.

If she has room to poop you don't have to let her out at all.
Outside time every day is good tho, as long as she can get back to the nest when she wants,
but then you have to check for 'donation' eggs(from other hens) daily.

Thanks, she has room to poop. I am already checking for donations everyday as all my layers have reverted to the "original corner" where the cat cage is. Only today did I have time to get the whole brooder setup started, hope to finish tomorrow; will have three areas, slider chick door for in/out but each can be isolated from the others.

So leave the brooder door open and continue to check for new eggs (easy as I only have 5 eggs being brooded)? I would prefer my other pullets to go back to my Red Nest Box #2.

Hmmmmmmmm...

So leave the brooder door open and continue to check for new eggs (easy as I only have 5 eggs being brooded)? I would prefer my other pullets to go back to my Red Nest Box #2.
Tough call.
Might leave broody confined for a few days and see if the other birds go back to the main nests.

Tough call.
Might leave broody confined for a few days and see if the other birds go back to the main nests.

I collected 5 eggs from the main red nest box #2 yesterday. I did not let the broody pullet out so day 1 of confinement. I will close the coop door today after the others are out and remove the brood space door so she can have access to the coop/run.

Chicks will be four weeks old in three days.

IMG_20200721_071930.jpg
IMG_20200721_071939.jpg
IMG_20200721_071951.jpg

Back
Top Bottom