Serious Dog Attack (GRAPHIC PICTURES)

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
While I was at work a neighbor's kids trespassed on the land and their dog got into the chicken pen. My landlord was able to scare the mutt away before any of them were killed. There were a lot of feathers. The police were called (rightfully so: trespassing, neglect of the leash law, possible child neglect). The neighbors got a court summons. We only knew about my Wyandotte and her bald rear end before I got off work. After I got home I looked them over personally and we discovered my Midnight Majesty Maran's injury...tore through her skin; muscle and organs visible...I put antibiotic cream on the wound and I have her separated in a large dog carrier tonight. She didn't seem to be acting too strange, so I suppose that's why my grandparents didn't initially notice her injury.

She seems to be walking fine for now, my main concern at the moment would be preventing infection. The only vet in my area that treats birds won't be in tommorow, I'll have to call again in the morning to see when they will. Any tips until then?

About the chicken: Her name is Queen, she's around 5 and a half months. Breed is Midnight Majesty Maran and, yes, she is laying.

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_171328.jpg
    IMG_20201223_171328.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20201223_171332.jpg
    IMG_20201223_171332.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 33
While I was at work a neighbor's kids trespassed on the land and their dog got into the chicken pen. My landlord was able to scare the mutt away before any of them were killed. There were a lot of feathers. The police were called (rightfully so: trespassing, neglect of the leash law, possible child neglect). The neighbors got a court summons. We only knew about my Wyandotte and her bald rear end before I got off work. After I got home I looked them over personally and we discovered my Midnight Majesty Maran's injury...tore through her skin; muscle and organs visible...I put antibiotic cream on the wound and I have her separated in a large dog carrier tonight. She didn't seem to be acting too strange, so I suppose that's why my grandparents didn't initially notice her injury.

She seems to be walking fine for now, my main concern at the moment would be preventing infection. The only vet in my area that treats birds won't be in tommorow, I'll have to call again in the morning to see when they will. Any tips until then?

About the chicken: Her name is Queen, she's around 5 and a half months. Breed is Midnight Majesty Maran and, yes, she is laying.

I think she will heal from this. It will take time and it will be too late to stitch it up. Definitely keep her away from the other chickens- at least keep them separate so they can't touch her.

Vetricyn is a good product - a bottle of the normal vetricyn is the most cost effective - and it will last a long time- each application is 2-3 sprays. Amazon.com : Vetericyn Plus All Animal Wound and Skin Care. Spray to Clean Cuts and Wounds. Itch, Soreness and Irritation Relief. No Stinging or Burning. for Cats, Dogs, Livestock and More. 16 Ounce. : Pet Ear Care Supplies : Pet Supplies There is a "poultry" version, but it's half the size for almost the same price... I've never noticed a difference when treating injuries.

I'd use it in combination with the antibiotic cream to keep it protected. The vet may give you some pain medicine and antibiotics to treat her with.

If she starts to look weak, you can give her some sugar water, also poultridrench is good to have on hand if you don't have any.

Amazon.com: Bovidr Laboratories P-4 OZ Poultry Nutri-Drench: Pet Supplies

Listen up!! This happened to my duck and she is now living a happy, healthy life! Trust me!!

Step 1: Wash her in luke-warm water (In a bathtub) You are going to want kids soap, dog soap, or dawn dish soap. Do not be afraid to touch the wound. It may hurt them, but it will keep them alive. WASH THE WOUND!!

Step 2: If she can not fly, put her in your bathtub(if you have a master bedroom) If not, put her in a dog crate, wide basket with top, ect. You are gonna want to keep her inside under close supervision. Keeping her inside will heavily reduce the chance of infection.

Step 3: Put any kind of anti-bacterial cream on her. Bacitracin, hen healing cream, ect.

Step 4: Provide her with food and water & monitor her eating and drinking

Step 5: Once the wound has scabbed over completely, put the anti-bacterial cream on to reduce the chance of them pecking the wound(It tastes bad) and put her outside.

Step 6: Check on her at least 2 times a day. She should be fine.

Good Luck!!

Listen up!! This happened to my duck and she is now living a happy, healthy life! Trust me!!

Step 1: Wash her in luke-warm water (In a bathtub) You are going to want kids soap, dog soap, or dawn dish soap. Do not be afraid to touch the wound. It may hurt them, but it will keep them alive. WASH THE WOUND!!

Step 2: If she can not fly, put her in your bathtub(if you have a master bedroom) If not, put her in a dog crate, wide basket with top, ect. You are gonna want to keep her inside under close supervision. Keeping her inside will heavily reduce the chance of infection.

Step 3: Put any kind of anti-bacterial cream on her. Bacitracin, hen healing cream, ect.

Step 5: Once the wound has scabbed over completely, put the anti-bacterial cream on to reduce the chance of them pecking the wound(It tastes bad) and put her outside.

Good Luck!!

Do this and you won't need to pay a vet bill

Good Luck!!

This is pretty good advice, although I'll add that you don't want ANY of the soap getting into the wound. Just wash around it and pat dry when finished.

Wishing you and your flock the best!

Update: I have her in a crate inside and she seems to be settling in well. She's eating and grooming. Although she's not made much sound, it's a bit haunting compared to the usual near constant chatter.

I picked up some 3-in-1 probiotics/electrolytes/acidifiers supplement, Rooster Booster wound spray, and some Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial poultry care spray. The wound doesn't seem to look worse than yesterday. Can a wound like that really "scab up" effectively? I mean, the skin is literally not there

Attachments

• IMG_20201224_143445.jpg
    IMG_20201224_143445.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 29

Back
Top Bottom