((Serious Gardening))

Today's haul

66877_dsc_9694.jpg

Quote:
I don't know if you can find it on the shelves now because there is a limited shelf life but I use NoLo bait. It is a flake that grasshoppers eat and it inhibits them from forming chiton --the stuff that makes their shells harden when they molt. It also interferes with the egg development so they don't hatch and you won't have as many next year. I have purchased it at TLC nurseries in OKC. Check the "use by" date...the effectiveness is lost after six weeks from the production date. It is safe for chickens.

There are very few organic sprays that kill grasshoppers and they seem to multiply in the heat. Insecticides are not healthy for your chickens. As offensive as they are, I wouldn't spray with a strong insecticide if your chickens are free ranging.

Quote:
I'm sitting here learning alot...don't mind me.
Can anyone answer this question?
I don't have a clue about pests...

Beetles have wings under their hard shells...so better to crush them.
Skelatal leaves can be from grass hoppers or blister bugs too.
Neem oil works on many bugs and is broad spectrum - meaning it kills beneficial bugs as well. Spray in late evening after the bees and pollinators hve made their visits. Spraying during the daytime in this heat will scald the plants.
Milky Spores works if applied in the Spring before the grubs transition into June bugs and other bugs like japanese beetles. The different sized grubs make different sized beetles....many different kinds.

Yes, better to treat the soil with Milky Spore and kill the grubs. Actually better to put it down in spring and let it get rained into soil.

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to gardening and I saw that I'm supposed to start garlic in the fall. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find cloves? I kind of want softneck. If anyone has some to ship I'd be glad to buy them. Any and all suggestions will be SO appreciated!

CYG

Alrighty everyone! Since the spring crop sucked for me because of our sucky drought I am trying again!

Just planted some potatoes today and I hope they do well. The ground a foot down was as hard as concrete and the top soil is dusty and dry.
So, its time to pray for some rain. I hope a tropical storm hits Texas soon because if not I will fail again lol
It would also be nice if we had a warm winter. (In Texas it is very possible)
Wish me luck fellow green thumbs.

BTW CYG to answer your question...I've never grown garlic before sorry
hmm.png
but I'll bump the question to someone else.

Thank you. I found a place online called Garlic Store or something like that. They've got a garlic that's good for pasta sauces and Italian foods which is pretty much what the bulk of the garlic we use goes for, so I'm going to order it and see how I do. Good luck with your potatoes! I hope the drought doesn't stick around on you too much longer!

CYG

Quote:
I'm just north of you and trying a fall garden too. I am finishing up planting it today. I had to water the dirt to be able to dig in it, it was so dry. But I have kept most of my plants going through the drought ($$$$$ water bill) so I'm hoping to get some food for my $'s, besides squash and cukes. At least this past week the 100' days are finally over!!!!

Back
Top Bottom