Serve open head wound is Black

Attachments

• 93C350F3-883D-4679-BEDA-1722374EA3FC.jpeg
    93C350F3-883D-4679-BEDA-1722374EA3FC.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 21
I had a sick chick, kept her inside the house for a week and when I returned her, everyone began to reestablish their place in the pecking order, letting her know that since she is new, she is on the bottom. For her safety, when you introduce her back into the flock, you'll want to do it when you have time to sit and watch how they treat her. By the time she heals, she'll be used to a different way of life, probably making her softer in her personality and the other chickens won't even remember her.. could be tough introducing her again. It might be a good idea, if it is possible, to reintroduce her with other new chickens, the same age as your current flock? I have not done this as I am at my limit, but I have heard that it has been successful. Anyways, I am not trying to be pushy, I am just concerned for her and it is something that needs to be considered no matter if you are keeping her inside for one more day or another month. Like I said I went through this recently and after a couple of days the flock settled but I felt sad for how they were treating my little girl to begin with. Mine were all younger though, which I think was beneficial, all around 2 months and one was 3 months old.

I had a sick chick, kept her inside the house for a week and when I returned her, everyone began to reestablish their place in the pecking order, letting her know that since she is new, she is on the bottom. For her safety, when you introduce her back into the flock, you'll want to do it when you have time to sit and watch how they treat her. By the time she heals, she'll be used to a different way of life, probably making her softer in her personality and the other chickens won't even remember her.. could be tough introducing her again. It might be a good idea, if it is possible, to reintroduce her with other new chickens, the same age as your current flock? I have not done this as I am at my limit, but I have heard that it has been successful. Anyways, I am not trying to be pushy, I am just concerned for her and it is something that needs to be considered no matter if you are keeping her inside for one more day or another month. Like I said I went through this recently and after a couple of days the flock settled but I felt sad for how they were treating my little girl to begin with. Mine were all younger though, which I think was beneficial, all around 2 months and one was 3 months old.
She’ll be inside for awhile

This morning she has a lot of yellow on her head and I can not get the black off
If you go to any stores today could you pick up an inexpensive basic tooth brush labeled “SOFT” and a sample size bottle of tear-free baby shampoo?

A little kid size tooth brush would be optimal, but just regular if the kid sizes is expensive.

The black material looks like blood-caked feathers, scabs, probably mixed with Vetericyn and Neosporin ointment. That can be difficult to get out, but with her growing new skin cells each day, that will eventually come off on it’s own.

Sometimes peroxide is very good at soaking through blood and goo, but it needs to be used just once or twice, since it can prevent tissue healing. Once or twice will not harm her.

The baby shampoo for around her her head is a good idea, but for the other areas lower down, Dawn or dishwashing liquid might be food. I don’t think it is a very easy job getting her cleaned up each day, and you are doing a good job.

How is she getting around and doing in general? Most of the time when chickens are out of the flock for a period of time, they need to be inside a dog crate with their own food and water, inside the coop, where they all can see each othher and get used to her again. It is a long way off, and will take time.

Back
Top Bottom