Set eggs today Saturday 2/22 - anyone else?

Hey all, I have been hatching my own chicks for the past 4 years and have never used a turner. I got one this year, and am using it currently. Someone told me that I should put my eggs in little end down, I didn't do that. Should I switch my eggs? Any advice?

I recently read a thread where someone put their eggs in a turner fat end down and none of them hatched and they suspect that is why. Did you set them on or around the 22nd? Have you candled? I would candle and if they look ok i would turn them fat end up.

I recently read a thread where someone put their eggs in a turner fat end down and none of them hatched and they suspect that is why. Did you set them on or around the 22nd? Have you candled? I would candle and if they look ok i would turn them fat end up.

I did set them on the 22nd however; my turner broke on day 7 so I had to hand turn until yesterday when my replacement part arrived. So glad I inquired. I have candled, and 3/4 of my eggs look good. We will see how many hatch this Saturday. Thanks for the info!!

Last edited:
Well I just ordered a dozen bantam cochin eggs in hopes of getting a frizzle or two. They will ship out Monday, so my current hatch will be finished and then I can start the cochin.
D.gif

I'm freaking out just a little. We had a family emergency late last night and they called the family in so we loaded up last night and drove to another state. It didn't dawn on me that I have 3 bators going because I had other things on my mind. Sitting here in the family lounge of the hospital, I realized my quail are suppose to be hatching tomorrow. Obviously, those quail are not the top priority but it still weighs on my mind. I'm hoping to get a hold of somebody this evening to go to my house and check the progress. I don't need a house sitter, I need a bator sitter.

@shannondee12 any update? fingers are crossed and thoughts an prayers for your family

I'm on day 15 now. I still have 31 looking good to go. I've had a couple problems though. When I first set the eggs, it took me a day and a half to get bator up to temp, even though it was perfect before I put the eggs in it. We also had a 7 hour power outage that didn't hurt anything in the end; but man it was some stressful crap to deal with while it was going on! I wrapped the bator up in blankets, and the recorded low temp was 68 degrees.
Up till now I've culled 5 eggs. 2 were clear, 3 quit early.
The quitters were all early. Every thing else looks great.
I've done a few things different this time. I normally do dry incubation, but this time I chose to use some moisture during the first 18 days. I also washed these eggs in warm tap water and gently used my thumbnail to remove debris from them. I've never washed my eggs before so I was immediately remorseful I had done it. But, alas, no harm is done.
big_smile.png
And lastly, I turned them less in the beginning.
I guess since they've dealt with the slow start and the power outage I'm going to lock them down one day later on day 19, and I expect my big hatch event to happen next Sunday.
Best of luck to every one else on their hatches!
Here's a 14 day pic of em. The chick popped it's head up right when the pic got took so you can see the shadow of it's head in the pic. Good times! This stuff never gets old to me, and I treasure stuff like this every time I get to see it.

@shannondee12
  any update?  fingers are crossed and thoughts an prayers for your family

Thank you so much for your kind words. I was able to get a care taker for my outside birds but not the incubators inside but all was well when I got home this evening. Unfortunately, my grandfather-in-law has not faired so well. He was diagnosed with a rapidly progressing leukaemia and given 30 days for his life expectancy. My husband stayed behind but I had to get the children home for school. I have already found someone to bator sit for next weekend when we go back. Thank you for asking.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I was able to get a care taker for my outside birds but not the incubators inside but all was well when I got home this evening. Unfortunately, my grandfather-in-law has not faired so well. He was diagnosed with a rapidly progressing leukaemia and given 30 days for his life expectancy. My husband stayed behind but I had to get the children home for school. I have already found someone to bator sit for next weekend when we go back. Thank you for asking.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

I stopped my turner today on day 16 to hope that my shipped eggs with the bad air cells can get into position for hatching. I candled last night and all but one egg was moving and happy. I am amazed at how much I can see by candling. My kids could see feathers last night and are very excited for hatch day. This is our second time hatching. Here is a picture from this weekend of my kiddo with a chick from our first hatch. We had temperatures close to 70 degrees yesterday and it was a great day to take the chicks out for a couple of hours. They are still in a smaller brooder with a heat lamp so this was just a field trip.
I am excited for lockdown. Hope every one has a great hatch!

I am so sad that I will not have any eggs for lockdown this week really bummed about losing my 2/22 batch I hope everyone has good luck.

Back
Top Bottom