Set eggs today Saturday 2/22 - anyone else?

I have 7\8 dorking eggs still looking good and 4/6 swedish duck eggs stil going they won't hatch until a week after my dorkings. I have a dozen amercauna and 6 more duck eggs coming..hmm got little dollar store baskets to put eggs in for lockdown and contain the mess and little fuzzies. I have still have half my turner running shipped eggs were not supposed to come until I had an empty bator..oh well staggered hatch I know the duck eggs won't mind the high humidity not sure how the chicken eggs will fair. Oh and I have my dorking chicks sold before they are even hatched. Might have to hatch some more of those.

Here's a 14 day pic of em. The chick popped it's head up right when the pic got took so you can see the shadow of it's head in the pic. Good times! This stuff never gets old to me, and I treasure stuff like this every time I get to see it.

that's another great picture... what are you guys using for candling? I can't see in my eggs that well.

Last edited:
I just use a little LED flashlight. I got mine at the dollar tree. And I candle them in a dark room.
That egg has a very light colored shell, so it shows much more. Some of the green eggs and or course the marans I can only see the air cell.

i use a 10+ led flashlight i got a menards for like .99 after a rebate i think it is like $6 it is really bright i use a darkish room my unfinished basement but i can even light up my duck eggs, i also candle right in my turner much easier..

oh.... shoot... @sasimpson77 did that temp spike really do them all in? I was hoping they would be okay

yep killed every last one of them. :( and now my hens are on strike so anything I hatch I will have to buy what a bummer I can't wait for it to really be spring. Not having good luck

I've had some casualties too. :( the NC ice storm knocked our power out for about six hours so we took our eggs to a neighbors house and I think they got a little too warm there. I culled a few more and I'm down to 11 out of 24 for lock down tomorrow.

I feel like the odds have been against these babies from the start! Shipped eggs, first time incubator, power outages! Can't wait to have their little feet safely on the ground!

very cool! locking down tonight. Candled some more. Movement in most, hoping the others were just "sleeping"

Good luck everyone.....!!!
fl.gif

can't wait to see pictures !
wee.gif

I was due for lock down tomorrow by the original date, but I think considering the slow start getting them up to temp and the power outage from the ice storm, I'm going to wait until Thursday. I expect the majority to hatch late in the day Saturday or early Sunday. I'm anxious to see how it turns out for everybody too.
Who else is close to locking down? I'm following a few threads and have trouble keeping up with everybody.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom