Set eggs today Saturday 2/22 - anyone else?

Well we are all set and hope to have a good hatch come Mar.15. We are hatching our own eggs, and some of my sister-in-laws. Will be fun to see what we get!!
I have learned that the thermostat and hygrometer that are on my incubator are only references. I have two inside to monitor accuracy, one standard and one digital.
Do you know if there is a way to adjust the built in hygrometer and the thermometer?

Half of my eggs are a backyard mix from my flock. On my first hatch the chicks that hatched out the fastest and seemed more robust (still) were the green eggs and the brown eggs from my production red hen. So this time those are the only eggs we picked to put in. I also have 4 eggs from a friend who isn't sure her rooster is active. I am using a Brinsea Octagon that is supposed to hold 24 eggs. Let me tell you it is a snug fit. I will try to post pictures later. I candled last night (I can't help it) and most of my backyard eggs are showing signs of developing. I bought a new maglight at walmart and it is great even with the green eggs. I think my friend is right that her rooster is lazy, but I will wait another week before I get rid of anything. I have not candled the shipped eggs. I am worried about messing with them too much since they have a rough start anyway. The shipped eggs are cochin bantam that will hopefully be my kid's 4-H project at fair this year. I am going to try and sit on my hands and leave the eggs alone until Sunday. That is my goal. This is going to be a long three weeks.

I set 54 last night February 25 and hoping for a good hatchout...they are a mixed bag easter eggers, Sussex, red sex link, Rhodes, barredrock, leghorns...the rooosters are "Michael" Americana (very active) and "Elvis" Rhode Island/Red sex cross (not so active or maybe just private about it) we are due to hatch on March 18th. good luck to all!

Not sure. Most of the reviews I went back and looked at said the same thing about only using it as a reference. It is about 3-4 degrees off.
Mine appears to be off by at least 15 degrees
Half of my eggs are a backyard mix from my flock. On my first hatch the chicks that hatched out the fastest and seemed more robust (still) were the green eggs and the brown eggs from my production red hen. So this time those are the only eggs we picked to put in. I also have 4 eggs from a friend who isn't sure her rooster is active. I am using a Brinsea Octagon that is supposed to hold 24 eggs. Let me tell you it is a snug fit. I will try to post pictures later. I candled last night (I can't help it) and most of my backyard eggs are showing signs of developing. I bought a new maglight at walmart and it is great even with the green eggs. I think my friend is right that her rooster is lazy, but I will wait another week before I get rid of anything. I have not candled the shipped eggs. I am worried about messing with them too much since they have a rough start anyway. The shipped eggs are cochin bantam that will hopefully be my kid's 4-H project at fair this year. I am going to try and sit on my hands and leave the eggs alone until Sunday. That is my goal. This is going to be a long three weeks.

I understand the shipped egg issue I do not pick mine up to candle I simply candle them in the turner and I was so excited to see progress in them today they are white eggs and less then a week along I even saw a beating heart in one.. I imagine my hatching Bator is going to be extremely full as well once I move my additional 35 over to it I am waiting until this weekend because they are not as far along as they should be they were due for lock down yesterday and today but only look to be about 16 days in development. I got a 226 Lumen Mag light from the farm store I can see into almost all my eggs with it it is awesome.

Mine appears to be off by at least 15 degrees

I understand the shipped egg issue I do not pick mine up to candle I simply candle them in the turner and I was so excited to see progress in them today they are white eggs and less then a week along I even saw a beating heart in one.. I imagine my hatching Bator is going to be extremely full as well once I move my additional 35 over to it I am waiting until this weekend because they are not as far along as they should be they were due for lock down yesterday and today but only look to be about 16 days in development. I got a 226 Lumen Mag light from the farm store I can see into almost all my eggs with it it is awesome.
I have never thought about just putting the flashlight on top of the egg while it is in the incubator. This info is definately going to make it harder to leave them alone tonight!

Four days and a few hours! Woo-hoo!

Candled eggs last night - think I have 3 clears... and I shucked another one because it looked weird. shell was sticky and it had funny bumps on it... weir.. anyway... things are progressing.

I'll get pics of mu setup tonight.. gotta run to work - have a great day everyone!!

wee.gif

This info is definately going to make it harder to leave them alone tonight!
Agreed 100% I am so addicted to my chickens and my eggs its ridiculous!! My girlfriend calls me mother hen! and is always telling me to stop playing with them. I cant wait till the hatch!!!

Back
Top Bottom