Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Well, I guess we can just wait and see how it goes! I am REALLY hoping everything is ok. I am trying to to look every 10 minutes but I am so paranoid about temp spikes!

I am hoping that the little tiny egg is a Serama, that would be so cool! I just love them!

Quote:
If this is true, then the first 5 days of incubation were almost 4 degrees too low - and my humidity 10% too high.

I'm going to
hit.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'll
hit.gif
with you.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Hopefully it will just mean that your date of hatch will be a little later.
hugs.gif

Quote:
If this is true, then the first 5 days of incubation were almost 4 degrees too low - and my humidity 10% too high.

I'm going to
hit.gif

Don't panic yet techno(although I'm a great one to talk-I have been panicking myself)-we candle in a few days so that will tell us a lot. Hopefully we'll get good results from that!

If it makes you feel any better Technodoll the mercury type thermometers are the most accurate if the numbers were put on right (and most are). They have been used for over a hundred years, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

Quote:
That's why I have 3 thermometers!

I have 1 digital (oregon scientific) and the mercury one that roughly read the same. Then I have this cheapy, but new digital I bought, and it looks like it's about 3 degrees off.

Did you calibrate the hygrometers? They are all typically off, but if you calibrate them you know how much they are off. My digital is off 7 and my cheapy digital is off 3 on the hygrometer part.

Here's how to calibrate:
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

And here's how you can calibrate your mercury one to see if it's correct.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4526037_calibrate-a-thermometer.html

Mother nature's not perfect either, so they may hatch a bit late, but I'm sure they'll still do okay.

Well I emptied all the water out of the 'bator, digital temp now reads 100.4F (matches the mercury thermometer), humidity is reading 30% on the digital hygrometer and 38% on the cheapy needle hygrometer.

It would be nice if I knew WHAT was going on in there, LOL!

I'll candle the eggs in a few days and we'll see if I get any babies out of 30 eggs...
roll.png

KEEP ON TRUCKIN' PEEPS!
lol.png

I had to empty out all the water in mine in the beginning too. I was just following the directions by putting the water in to start with. Glad I emptied the water out too. Everything is more stable now.
smile.png

I ended up candling today. I had 8 BLRW eggs and out of them only 3 were good. 2 were MAYBE fertile and 3 were not even fertile.
hmm.png
Those I had ordered.
sad.png
Then I checked the 7 Blue Marans I have. Only one was bad there.
smile.png
I got those 2 breeds from the same person. Don't think I'll be eggs eggs from there again.
hmm.png

All the others were good except 1 Bobwhite quiter.
roll.png

But I'm glad I got what I got right now.
smile.png

Ok...I added 24 BLRW eggs last night...which makes me nervous
hmm.png
This is going to be my first staggered hatch. I have 19 due on the 17th and these will be due on the 28th. Since I do a dry incubation, I'm hoping the high humidity at lockdown for the first group won't hurt the second group. Has anyone had any experience with staggered hatches?

Back
Top Bottom