Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

When incubating eggs ou are supposed to keep them at 100 degrees for them to hatch that is what i have learned reading a book

30085_2905878535_1f7af7ef82.jpg

I'll download pics later today... waiting for the hatch to be over and the babies all fluffy and settled in!

BTW... This whole "lockdown" business? Not working for me.

I've been opening the bator to take out the chicks as they hatch before they hurt themselves flailing around on sharp broken shells, getting stuck between or in the cardboard egg flat and the intact eggs, etc.

The babies are much better off in the brooder under a heat lamp, on a paper towel, safe and cuddled together. They dry faster and seem alot less distressed this way.

I open the bator cover so fast, the temps don't change and neither does the humidity.

I've also been spraying the eggs with a very fine mist of water to keep the humidity at a peak level, I have 5 chicks out and 6 other eggs have pips in them (out of 16 eggs). So I guess it's working!

Next hatch, I'll be leaving the eggs on the floor of the bator, on their sides.

I just got home and I have 1 pip too!!! So exciting, I cant tear myself away. And its a Orp too!! Yea!! Now lets see what the other ones can do.

Back
Top Bottom