Setting 9/14 Who's with me...

I candeled this morning. This is my first try, so anything is great, above 50% would be amazing. It is 10 days and I have struggled leaving the incubator alone. So far I have lost:

3 Bantam Cochins
3 Blue Andalusians
3 Sumatras
1 Mix
1 Duck

I have 2 that I put a question mark on to see if it changes in a few days, if not they need to go. About half of my bad ones had blood rings, the other half never started.

I am using a LG still air. I have a LG thermometer and a digital Therm/Hygrometer in as well. I have been pulling one plug in and out to maintain temps. I have not added water, the humidity had bounced between 35% to 55% since day one. I have the turner as well. I will up the water level with sponges on day 18 for lockdown. The idea of walking away and letting it work is what I am stuggling with.

I started with 37 eggs, I am down to 26. With 5 of the chickens eggs never starting, I have only really lost 5 during the process. I am very happy with my results so far. Now if I can only get all 26 into a brooder.

I recieved from Glenda on the Auction 15 Lavendar Orpingtons and 9 Black Copper Marans
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif
fl.gif
Last night when I candled there are twelve strong Orpingtons and 6 for sure Marans. The Marans are so beautifully dark though I will leave them to the end. The three Orpington eggs look like they have small blood rings and died really early on. So all of the eggs were / are fertile
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
I might finally get some Orpingtons
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
I had some heat spikes last year with my LG / fan... so this time I hooked it up and calibrated it, but then put in my old reptile thermostat set at 100 to turn the whole thing off in case of emergency... temps have been great, so far I think I have 11/12 on shipped eggs. Need to candle again sometime.

I candled last Saturday, and have 28 still in the bator. Not too bad for shipped eggs I guess!

9/14 or 9/15, what day are you others going into lockdown?

I have 2 egg cartons trimmed and ready. I think I will try to put most of them in the cartons. I also have a couple sponges for water basins. This is my first run and I have allot more eggs still growing than I ever thought I would. I am not sure my brooder will hold them all very long.

Back
Top Bottom