Setting Eggs Saturday April 20... anyone else?

This morning I woke up to 5 more pips on the top side, so I guess 6 all together? I can't tell if the chirping is coming from the bator or the 5 week old chick I have in the home office nursery. It got beat up pretty bad yesterday by the flock, so for now it's the house chicken. Good luck to everyone!

Seven in lockdown but no pip yet. I am concerned.

I have another hatch that were set two days earlier than this one. Just found an egg with a pip, with a dead chick inside. It was a Hedemora too. :(

Day 20 for us. We have 25 eggs in lockdown. Five Barnevelder, 6 Ameraucana, 7 Australorps, and 7 Marans(may be BC, blue or splash). We have no pipping yet but movement in about half of them. It has been a trying hatch with temperature swings, and had the light bulb go out next to the thermostat on day 17. When we discovered it the temp was up to 110 F and humidity was down to 29%. Was probably like this for a little over an hour. So had all but given up hope on anything hatching. But seems like they are resilient. Temp was running on the high side (closer to 100 F) for most of the hatch so was thinking we would get an early hatch. Still waiting for first pip.....
barnie.gif

This morning I woke up to 5 more pips on the top side, so I guess 6 all together? I can't tell if the chirping is coming from the bator or the 5 week old chick I have in the home office nursery. It got beat up pretty bad yesterday by the flock, so for now it's the house chicken. Good luck to everyone!
yuckyuck.gif
home office/nursery - love i!!
Seven in lockdown but no pip yet. I am concerned.

I have another hatch that were set two days earlier than this one. Just found an egg with a pip, with a dead chick inside. It was a Hedemora too.
sad.png

oh no... any others hatch?

Day 20 for us. We have 25 eggs in lockdown. Five Barnevelder, 6 Ameraucana, 7 Australorps, and 7 Marans(may be BC, blue or splash). We have no pipping yet but movement in about half of them. It has been a trying hatch with temperature swings, and had the light bulb go out next to the thermostat on day 17. When we discovered it the temp was up to 110 F and humidity was down to 29%. Was probably like this for a little over an hour. So had all but given up hope on anything hatching. But seems like they are resilient. Temp was running on the high side (closer to 100 F) for most of the hatch so was thinking we would get an early hatch. Still waiting for first pip.....
barnie.gif

I have a Peep - not a pip yet, bu at least its a start. with my temp spikes I kinda lot hope...welll... not lost it... but was conerned... always have hope...

maybe when i get back home after work, i will have a pip!!!

These eggs were shipped and were incubated in an egg carton with small end down. We had a total of 42 eggs, 1 was broken in transit. We only candled twice--day 7 and day 14--our first hatch we candled every day...sometimes twice a day. But we didnt want to disturb these too much. We left all the eggs in until day 14 when we culled 16 of them. Eight were infertile and 8 early death. There are probably 2 or 3 in here that we werent sure of but decided to err on side of caution. We switched the eggs out into these little cups for lockdown so when the chicks arrive they can push then around. We wanted to keep them somewhat upright because they were shipped and air cells did not re-attach. Here is a pic of our eggs:

The red underneath is food colouring so we could see level of water.

I have 1 duckling out :) And I also think that 2 more are rocking and wiggling. But I'm pretty sure that none of the call duck eggs are living. Oh well, at least I have some!

Okay, on my first incubation so far on day 21: out of 22 eggs, 13 hatches, four pips and ? On the rest. Question should the Bator STINK? I know the afterbirth stuff probably does, and I didn't smell anything before they started hatching. Everything okay do you think?

Back
Top Bottom