Setting eggs the week of May 7th (Here's to wishing the best this time)!!!!!!!!!

Here is the status of my chick:

The lighting is not very good, so it is a little blurry. Saturday night was the first pip, and by Sunday morning it made a small hole large enough for me to see the beak. The hole originated from the bottom of the picture above. I can not see any membrane on the chick itself, so I don't think it has been shrink wrapped. I see his hair if anything else, black with gold highlights (I think). The little guy is still breathing and still tweets from time to time, but he has not been making any real progress from what you see above since yesterday morning.

So far I've assumed he has just been absorbing more of the yolk, not ready to come out. Is there a chance he can be stuck? This is my first time so I'm really nervous, I really want this little guy to live! lol

Once a chick pips it sits and absorbed the yoke. Once the yoke is absorbed the chick starts to zip like your chick has done. If they start zipping and make no progress it means they are stuck. Looks like it is time to help the poor guy out.
Here is the status of my chick:

The lighting is not very good, so it is a little blurry. Saturday night was the first pip, and by Sunday morning it made a small hole large enough for me to see the beak. The hole originated from the bottom of the picture above. I can not see any membrane on the chick itself, so I don't think it has been shrink wrapped. I see his hair if anything else, black with gold highlights (I think). The little guy is still breathing and still tweets from time to time, but he has not been making any real progress from what you see above since yesterday morning.

So far I've assumed he has just been absorbing more of the yolk, not ready to come out. Is there a chance he can be stuck? This is my first time so I'm really nervous, I really want this little guy to live! lol

I would be cautious if there are any pippers in the bator at present. There was a very good article I read on helping them out... some where on BYC. It mentioned using a washcloth (wet and warm) to wrap around the shell to soften it. Is long as you are in a warm and not drafty room you shouldn't do it any harm if you are careful. Just take your time, and know that you feel whatever happens you are doing more good than harm. If you find blood STOP, and only pull the shell, not the membrrane!

Oh how exciting all the pictures of pips and things!

I'm having a minor HEART ATTACK! When I got up this morning I saw a lot of condensation on the walls of the bator... not just the window! Now I'm worried that my hygrometer has never been working properly and I may have had my humidity TOO high this whole time! (Babies were still alive 24 hours ago before I increased humidity).

The paper towel lining the floor of the bator is damp (not quite wet)... but it is freaking me out. I hope I'm not slowly drowning my babies in there
sad.png
The hygrometer was reading 60% this morning. I'm sure the insides of the bator shouldn't be so damp with that reading?

Any how, because I have had no pips yet I decided to take action. I have 2 jars of water in there. I covered 1/2 of one of the lids to reduce water surface area. I also attempted to provide more airflow in and out of the bator by jamming a piece of rolled up foil in between the lid and then crank strapping it back down!

It is a home made incubator so I did not have the luxury of opening more vents. It would have been near impossible to make a new vent hole at this stage in the operation.... so a slight crack in the lid is my only hope I think.

Humidity is now reading at 40% even after all that stuffing around. I'm going to sit here in my office all day (I work from home) and keep watch!

I have one chick out. She hatched at 5:30pm, around 1-2 hours into day 21.

The other two that made it to lockdown are pipped. However, I'm really worried about the one. I don't remember ever being this worried about one, so I think it may have passes on. I've been watching it for any signs of movement, and nothing. I sure hope to be proven wrong.

I've been watching the webcam avidly, but frankly, I'd rather the other two chicks don't come until tomorrow. This is a school hatch, and it would be nice if at least ONE hatched while the kids watched.

Don't you wish you could explain that all to the little chicks! I'll add good wishes to your little one.... Maybe just taking a nap building strength.Good luck Tina! I know the fear!

Mine have no pips, but its day 20, and I have a couple rocking like they are at a concert :)

Just moved my lone chicken egg from mama to incubator! SHE is officially on lockdown. The reason I took her from mama is because I have ducklings due early next week that mama is hatching, and I didn't want her to end up abandoning the soon-to-hatch duckies to get baby chicken something to eat. So baby chicken will hatch with me and I'll let mama take care of the one's she's got. Crossing my fingers for everyone and their babies!

Update on the chick I had to take away from the broody~ I kept it in the incubator overnight and it is doing great. Another egg under the broody hatched and she was taking care of that one better (keeping it under her wing instead of sitting on it) so I gave her back the chick that I had to take away yesterday. Both chicks are staying under momma's wings (so are not getting squished) and are SO happy to be with their mom! Makes me feel so good!
celebrate.gif
The 5 eggs in the incubator haven't pipped yet. They are on day 20. Hoping they hatch soon so I can give them to their momma too
big_smile.png

Just candled my bantam buff Brahma and Polish eggs that are due June 6th and all are still looking good. I have a broody hen sitting on no eggs that I am hoping will take this next batch
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom