Setting eggs today (3/30) anyone else???

Thanks! She looks just like her mother :)

Doesn't look like there'll be more chicks. I dunno, I'm going to give the remaining two eggs a chance, maybe a couple more days. She's still interested in them. I showed them to her and she rolled them back up underneath her quite far.

I candled them and three were no good. Rotten when I opened them. Booo!

Eww!lol Well Im glad she doesnt have to lay on any more eggs than she has to!
We had to do that too and I could tell she was glad I got the hint that 2 were bad lol! I hope your baby BO-RIR is doing good!

mkcolls: I canddled the 3 eggs left and they look like they are growing so I havent opened them yet but I will give them untile Fri. then I will probably go ahead and open them. I hope your babies are doing good!

Yay for the fuzzy butts!!!!

Pic overload - you ask for it you got it!

There was a ruckus in the three pen brooder coop, chick crossover, so everyone was scared, and exhausted. They all had to be as close to Mama SS as possible.
Some of the chicks are already getting feathers on their wings. We love to watch them "fly".
The "I'm a big chicken" stance.

Our little model. Look at those crops. DH loves to over indulge with ground scratch. He was the same way with our children.

Mama SS wasn't completely settled when this one jumped on board, so she went sliding.
I don't understand the standing around staring at the wall, but they must have a reason.

This is our Narragansett poult, hatched 4/7/12. Her name is Tickles and she runs, now flies to us when we come into the brooder coop. During the day she runs up one arm, across our shoulders, and down the other. She loves to sit on DH head. She thinks we are her people.
gig.gif
In the evening she comes and snuggles into a pocket, or our hood, or if she is cold, into our jackets and falls asleep. She is in a pen with 19 chicks, most who hatched March 30th-April 1st.

Mama BO with some of her 15 chicks and one turkey poult. Some are Buff Brahma x Lt. Brahma, some Buff Brahma x Buff Orpington, two are JG, and the turkey poult is Narr x Royal Palm.

Whew! hope I didn't wear you out.

I have to tell on myself. When we removed the last two EE eggs that Mama SS rolled away I placed them in a small cup to take out to crack. We also have one of those cups in our egg basket, in case an egg or two are really dirty or broken as we are gathering eggs. DH has to climb a ladder to gather eggs that a couple of our EEs lay in a loft in the barn. The basket was full and he slipped two of the EE eggs for the day in the cup. I picked up the cup in the basket, left the cup from Mama SS on the counter in the feed room. I cracked two perfectly good eggs Monday night thinking they were bad.
he.gif

So the news on the rotten eggs - yep, both were rotten, one exploded when cracked, the other oozed. Thankfully I was prepared for the smell, staying much further away than Monday night cracking.

Still hoping to see pics of your chicks when you get some time.

Yay for fuzzy butts!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Awww how cute! My chicks have started to climb up on Robin's back too! Its sooo cute!!!! But I will post some soon, I pulled a muscle in my arm a couple of minutes ago so Im just resting it before I try to pick up Robin and stuff lol
Ok so maybe tonight Ill have pics uploaded!
Yay for the fuzzy butts!!!!
<3 kelsey
Oh p.s. what is the breed of the chick with the chipmunck stripe? I have 2 and have been wondering what breed they are lol thanks!

Kelsey, I'm sorry to hear that you pulled a muscle. Praying that you heal well and quickly.

My little blond chipmunk striped chicks are barnyard surprises. I will have to wait to see how they feather to figure it out.

Our Roos:

Black Australorp(BA) - don't think so
Black Jersey Giant(JG) - don't think so
EE - maybe, but most EEs have beards
Salmon Faverolle - maybe, but Faverolles have 5 toes, feathered legs and beards
SLW - the light coloring is possible and the chicks have the chipmunk pattern
Welsummer - possible, they have the chipmunk pattern
Buff Brahma - does not have access to the hens that laid the eggs

Our Hens:

BA - don't think so
Black JG - don't think so
EE - maybe
Salmon Faverolle - none of the eggs were cream colored
SLW - possible
BO - a possible mix with the SLW or Welsummer roo
Welsummer - none of the eggs were dark brown or speckled
SS - possible has chipmunk pattern
Dominique - don't think so

It will be fun to discover who they are.

Rest and be well.

Yay for fuzzy butts!!
wee.gif

Well, only the one egg hatched. The chick isn't doing well; quite lethargic and she keeps curling up in to 'egg position'. Most of the time her wings droop and her head is low. Mama hen and I have been getting it to eat and drink a little but I don't expect it will live through the night. In fact, I feel a nag to go check on her now.

I bought two light colored bantam chicks to place under her too, hoping that they'll help teach the little one what to do. It worked a little, their pecking at the ground encouraged her to do the same.

Ah, I'll go check on her. Maybe she's just a late bloomer and will be fine . . . .

Should I take her inside and set her up where I can keep a close eye on her?

Last edited:
I'm sorry that she isn't doing well.

Couple of questions. Is she pooping? Color and consistency?

Are you adding anything to her water? Save-a-Chick, vitamins, natural apple cider vinegar (ACV)?

Being alone can be difficult. The bantam chicks are a good idea for company, stimulation, and mimicing chick behavior. Especially if your broody hen is still busy with the unhatched eggs.

Unfortunately sometime chicks just don't make it. Bringing her inside may help you, and she would be closer, but then she would be alone again.

I hope she improves.

No idea if she's pooping. She's so skinny! I laced the water and the wet crumble mash I gave them with vitamins.

When I checked her tonight, she wasn't even opening her eyes. She was just 'sleeping'. When I picked her up she was sort of gasping but then settled down. I warmed her back up with a hot towel/rag then put her back under mom. I'm hoping for the best but fully expect to find a lifeless baby in the morning.

Hopefully she'll accept the two other babies. So far, they're in the nest with her and quiet but she pecks at them when she sees them. They're smart, they keep quiet and stay in the back of her in the nest.

Pic overload - you ask for it you got it!

There was a ruckus in the three pen brooder coop, chick crossover, so everyone was scared, and exhausted. They all had to be as close to Mama SS as possible.
Some of the chicks are already getting feathers on their wings. We love to watch them "fly".
The "I'm a big chicken" stance.

Our little model. Look at those crops. DH loves to over indulge with ground scratch. He was the same way with our children.

Mama SS wasn't completely settled when this one jumped on board, so she went sliding.
I don't understand the standing around staring at the wall, but they must have a reason.

This is our Narragansett poult, hatched 4/7/12. Her name is Tickles and she runs, now flies to us when we come into the brooder coop. During the day she runs up one arm, across our shoulders, and down the other. She loves to sit on DH head. She thinks we are her people.
gig.gif
In the evening she comes and snuggles into a pocket, or our hood, or if she is cold, into our jackets and falls asleep. She is in a pen with 19 chicks, most who hatched March 30th-April 1st.

Mama BO with some of her 15 chicks and one turkey poult. Some are Buff Brahma x Lt. Brahma, some Buff Brahma x Buff Orpington, two are JG, and the turkey poult is Narr x Royal Palm.

Whew! hope I didn't wear you out.

I have to tell on myself. When we removed the last two EE eggs that Mama SS rolled away I placed them in a small cup to take out to crack. We also have one of those cups in our egg basket, in case an egg or two are really dirty or broken as we are gathering eggs. DH has to climb a ladder to gather eggs that a couple of our EEs lay in a loft in the barn. The basket was full and he slipped two of the EE eggs for the day in the cup. I picked up the cup in the basket, left the cup from Mama SS on the counter in the feed room. I cracked two perfectly good eggs Monday night thinking they were bad.
he.gif

So the news on the rotten eggs - yep, both were rotten, one exploded when cracked, the other oozed. Thankfully I was prepared for the smell, staying much further away than Monday night cracking.

Still hoping to see pics of your chicks when you get some time.

Yay for fuzzy butts!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Great pics!! They're all so cute!

Kelsey, how are you feeling?

Any updates? Any more hatches? How are your chicks doing?

Our chicks are growing so fast. Lots of scratching, chest bumping, flying, sleeping, eating and of course pooping. They are so much fun to watch.

Im sorry I havent posted. I am better thank you sooo much for the prayers. Everyone is doing great! I hope yours are doing good!
<3 kelsey

Back
Top Bottom