Setting eggs today 5/31/11

I have to wait two more days to set them. I only have 2 laying mallards right now and I only have 3 eggs I didn't refrigerate. I usually get 2 every day so I'm hoping to at least set 7 eggs....what do you think? Should I collect longer?? My last hatch attempt was so bad...but all 12 eggs were fertile!My humidity was definitely too low...and my temps fluctuated one night when I worked a 12 hour shift....lost 6 that night
sad.png

I honestly don't know anything about collecting/holding eggs before incubation. All of my eggs came straight from a breeder and immediately put into my bators. LOL!

I know for my chickens that longer then 7 days drops the chances if a hatch. I have 12 in now so only waited 4 days myself. But I am thinking of sneakinh in 2-3 more tm as the pop out lol. Are you looking to have females to keep or doesn't matter? Im doing more because im looking for 2 hens and unless i truely luck out i doubt i have 2 hens in my brooder lol. Good lucl go with your gut on it. Besides you could always save some later for another batch

Yes, I could hatch again....I just got so disappointed with this hatch that I'm afraid to have too few eggs...29 days is a LONG time when you're as impatient as I am ...lol...and they were ALL developing so i know it wasn't the eggs...all made it to at least day 9...
I only have one LG still air bator...and don't trust myself to stagger hatches yet....unless maybe I use an egg carton to hatch in...what do you think?

29 is FOREVER! And then to have only ONE pip at all...not even all the way through! Argh!!! Anyway, maybe I'll set tomorrow...and just do 5.....
Part of my goal here is ...I have a restricted mallard female and I want to see if it is passed on this generation,next,next etc. That's why I'm so frustrated....I know they are more rare.It's like 1 in 5,000 or something like that...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom