Setting eggs week of 7/13... Anyone with me??

Interesting tidbit I found out today....

The egg color of brown egg layers will lighten as the hen ages.

So I am understanding, that you can tell if the hen is past her prime by how light her eggs become. Although, I do not believe that is the only factor. But it does make me wonder if that is why some eggs we get are lighter than others.

Hey all!! Just got caught up, and loving all the posts and congrats to everyone who's hatches are doing good!!
thumbsup.gif
I took some nice pics of all my boys and girls while I was away!! I will share now:

This is my Beautiful Golden Polish that I saved from certain death... about 6 wks old

My rooster Colonel!! He is a LBleghorn... isn't he handsome

The D'uccle banties...

My white cochins and blue andalusan are hiding behind my friends baby turkey!!!

This is the blonde D'uccle that we think is gonna wind up being a mix....

My SLW Sparkle...

They are all so beautiful!!!!!! Love that Polish! How did you save him?

This is the best eggs setting post ever! You guys have been great!

JDchicks- I don't think you would see the dark shadow unless they were fertile. Non fertile eggs are clear all the way. Yes unfertile eggs still have air sacs. Candle a store bought egg and you will still see the air sac. Especially if its been in the fridge for a while. That is why when you boil an older egg it is concave at the top when you take the shell off.

Hey all!! Just got caught up, and loving all the posts and congrats to everyone who's hatches are doing good!!
thumbsup.gif
I took some nice pics of all my boys and girls while I was away!! I will share now:

This is my Beautiful Golden Polish that I saved from certain death... about 6 wks old

My rooster Colonel!! He is a LBleghorn... isn't he handsome

The D'uccle banties...

My white cochins and blue andalusan are hiding behind my friends baby turkey!!!

This is the blonde D'uccle that we think is gonna wind up being a mix....

My SLW Sparkle...

Your birds are beautiful, love the little polish!!!!!!!

They are all so beautiful!!!!!! Love that Polish! How did you save him?

This is the best eggs setting post ever! You guys have been great!

JDchicks- I don't think you would see the dark shadow unless they were fertile. Non fertile eggs are clear all the way. Yes unfertile eggs still have air sacs. Candle a store bought egg and you will still see the air sac. Especially if its been in the fridge for a while. That is why when you boil an older egg it is concave at the top when you take the shell off.
OOHHH! Junk used a $5 word!! Concave!!
thumbsup.gif
lol

We ordered her from a hatchery and when we finally recieved them (they ship on a friday night!!) she was so weak we actually thought she was one of the dead ones (4 out of 26 lived!) till we got the box home and realized she was still breathing, so we warmed her under the lamp and dripped electrolyte water into her mouth every hour... we watched her non stop for hours, and she was still touch and go for a few days, we wound up having to shave her butt (she had a bad case of pasted vent because she was too weak to stand)! She used to fall asleep standing up constantly, so we named her Chance, and we nicknamed her Chance the Narcoleptic Chicken!! She is doing great now except for a limp and her tail feathers always point to the side! ( we think she was stepped on too much in the box during shipping) I just love her!! She is a fighter!!

OOHHH! Junk used a $5 word!! Concave!!
thumbsup.gif
lol

We ordered her from a hatchery and when we finally recieved them (they ship on a friday night!!) she was so weak we actually thought she was one of the dead ones (4 out of 26 lived!) till we got the box home and realized she was still breathing, so we warmed her under the lamp and dripped electrolyte water into her mouth every hour... we watched her non stop for hours, and she was still touch and go for a few days, we wound up having to shave her butt (she had a bad case of pasted vent because she was too weak to stand)! She used to fall asleep standing up constantly, so we named her Chance, and we nicknamed her Chance the Narcoleptic Chicken!! She is doing great now except for a limp and her tail feathers always point to the side! ( we think she was stepped on too much in the box during shipping) I just love her!! She is a fighter!!

Go Chance!!!

I revamped the big coop into 2 smaller coops and moved the 8 SFs, (3 pullets and 5 roos), ugh and the one Dorking (fingers crossed it's a hen) into their new digs. I've got to do some work on the fence so they will have to stay in for a few days. Their tiny coop had an outdoor pen, but they can use the next few days to feel out there new home and there is plenty of room in there for them. Hard to believe they hatched June 2nd (almost 8 weeks), they are getting so big!!!!

Back
Top Bottom