Setting eggs week of 7/13... Anyone with me??

How long from pip to zip? My first guy has been working on it For over 8 hours. He cheeps and moves around a lot but absolutely NO progress. I feel so bad for him. Has anyone ever "helped" their chicks out?

Yes, I did on my last hatch. Even though she pipped, she was shrink wrapped. I had one pip on my every first hatching and not make it out, so I intervened during my last hatched.

Didn't know what I was doing, but she made it; and is the alpha and bravest of the flock. Used the bathroom so I could run the shower for humidity. Wet Q-tips to keep the egg membrane moist and tweezers. I did not remove the bottom part of the shell in case the yolk wasn't absorbed yet and put her back in the incubator.

I'm not saying to go ahead and help. There is a lot of debate on this site. Some will say let nature decide and some will help.

Good luck! Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
just found this tread! I set a dozen and 1/2 silkie eggs in 7/13....and here I am up at 4am PST (not because the Olympics are on) but because I had my 1st PIP at 9pm last night...NOW.....looks like I have 5 breaking through right now....so excited
So jealous!! I set 8 silkie eggs and had a failed hatch at day 7.... congrats!!! I want to see pics ASAP!! lol I will live vicariously
wee.gif

My last batch I had 2 that were shrink wrapped in there.  the first one i let try for almost 24 hours (cause that's what I was told), then I took it upon myself to help him out.  I sprayed warm water over him, them took some q-tips and a bowl of warm water and dipped my q-tip in it and worked the membrane off the chick.  once he was mostly out, i put him back in the bator to come the rest of the way out.  The second one that I had pip, i saw bubbles coming out of the zip area so I opened the bator and moved the egg so that his nose was above any liquid in the egg.  it took him a few hours still to come out.  Make sure if you do start to help any chicks out that you STOP IMMEDIATELY if you see any blood, that means he's not quite ready.  Apparently it takes a while for them to draw in the yolk and all the blood from the veins?!?!  Not sure about that, but I do know you're supposed to STOP IMMEDIATELY if you see blood.  

Here are my 2 threads on my last hatch helps:  

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/686771/pip-zip-out-help#post_9312561

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/614384/help-with-shrink-wrapped-chick/40#post_9297705

Thank you so much for sharing! I read the whole thread. How did they wind up doing? I think I'll leave him for the night and see how he is tomorrow morning. I got a bit panicky when my little white guy had a little gush of water out his pip hole, but I still see him moving around, so I guess he's ok? Wow, this is so much like a first pregnancy. I feel like I'm back on my fertility boards!!!!

How long from pip to zip? My first guy has been working on it For over 8 hours. He cheeps and moves around a lot but absolutely NO progress. I feel so bad for him. Has anyone ever "helped" their chicks out?
It could take hours, it could take over a day... as long as you see the chick is able to move (which a shrink wrapped chick can NOT do) I would let it go, as long as it is getting air, it should come out on it's own... if it isn't moving around, then it could be shrink wrapped and may need help (I believe everything in nature needs help at one time or another!) I would try to be patient for now, sometimes the first to pip is the last to zip... if another one hatches the peeping from that chick will make it wanna come out... I wouldn't worry to much yet, only because you said it keeps moving all around, so it isn't wrapped....

There colors are already amazing.....have 6 out already on day 19......6 more almost out.......the LAVENDER is out!
Love the pic, but it's kinda hard to see. do you have your eggs sitting in something in the egg crate?

I have 1 pip out of 8 and no more action! AHHHH I hope something happens soon.

Back
Top Bottom