Setting the week of August 22 (or so... ) Everyone join!! You know you want to!

Im going on day 17 wheew its getting close! lockdown is tuesday
wee.gif

I had a hen go broody for the 2nd time this summer...grrr! decided she wanted to be a mommy so bad might as well try the whole natural hatching thing.. I'm pretty new to chickens in general but did a ton of research and relocated her at night with a couple non-fertalized eggs.. she adopted them!! then I found some Copper Maran eggs off of CL local and set her offically on August 24th!!!! She's such an amazing horton! Anyway, I've candled the eggs and out of the 12 only 8 proved to be fertalized and viable... She's a very friendly hen and only puffs up if I touch her eggs so it makes candeling very easy and irrisistable!! Now we're to far along to see anything through the shell, not to mention they were so dark to start with...we're talking chocolate dark! I can't wait for FRIDAY!!!(Sept. 14th!!) Wish me luck on my first time! anyone have any tips or things to watch out for when doing it the natural way? I've got them quarentined and her nest is on the ground... I think I covered everything...???

Good luck Chefswifey, I have my first Marans in the 'bator too and am really looking forward to those ones!

Lockdown today! I'm a nervous wreck but really excited to see these little chicks soon. I have my carton cut down and ready. I need to disassemble my last two remaining turners and get them outta there and do a few quick things to have it 100% sustainable from the outside - adding more tubing and more water receptacles mainly. Oh, and clean out the styrofoam bits that have fallen in during previous modifications so they don't try to eat them. Yikes, I think I'll put the eggs in warm towels while I do that so they don't get bumped accidentally. Should only take 10 minutes or less. Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see pictures - and thanks to denise661for helping me figure out how, I'll be able to show mine. :D

I had a hen go broody for the 2nd time this summer...grrr! decided she wanted to be a mommy so bad might as well try the whole natural hatching thing.. I'm pretty new to chickens in general but did a ton of research and relocated her at night with a couple non-fertalized eggs.. she adopted them!! then I found some Copper Maran eggs off of CL local and set her offically on August 24th!!!! She's such an amazing horton! Anyway, I've candled the eggs and out of the 12 only 8 proved to be fertalized and viable... She's a very friendly hen and only puffs up if I touch her eggs so it makes candeling very easy and irrisistable!! Now we're to far along to see anything through the shell, not to mention they were so dark to start with...we're talking chocolate dark! I can't wait for FRIDAY!!!(Sept. 14th!!) Wish me luck on my first time! anyone have any tips or things to watch out for when doing it the natural way? I've got them quarentined and her nest is on the ground... I think I covered everything...???
yup sounds like you covered it. my broody mama here is a silkie, altough this time im doing it with a bator. just make sure there is water and food, and dont make the water bowl deep, those newborns seem to throw themselves into it. And if its a staggared hatch, watch very carefully the babies that hatch out after about 3 days, the 2 times i hatched with mine,she didnt take to kindly to the late hatchers,she pecked at them and managed a couple of times to toss it across the brooder. at that point i kicked her off the island and back to the coop. and raised them all up myself. They have a internal timer on the whole hatching thing, so depending how fast you got those craigs list eggs under her, have a bator ready to go if she abandons them.

Noelg

And the early pipper just hatched! Seeing several other new pips too, wyandottes and brahmas. No marans yet.

Back
Top Bottom