Setting the week of August 22 (or so... ) Everyone join!! You know you want to!

I could be wrong but a breeder told me that cones don't always indicate sex because dominant hens can have larger cones

Yea, my white leghorn girl has a Huge comb, it lays over so far, she can hardly see out her right side, so yea, I wish I could just fix it lol, her sister (RIP) was the same way. Most of our RIR have huge combs too

UPDATE!
wee.gif

In about 6 hrs, I'll be on Day 9, yesterday I candled 1/2 of my 30 eggs & did the other 1/2 today...

*out of the 7 banny mix BB red & Nankins, all of them have great veins & lil moving heartbeats
smile.png
!!!

*out of the 3 Jersey giant eggs, 1of them is definately pretty clear of anything
hmm.png
, can't really see in the others very well even w/my super bright white flashlight, b/c the outer shell is kinda brown, but its got so many speckles on it its really hard to tell.

*Out of the 12 Australorp eggs I got off of ebay from Missouri (they were packaged really good & shipped in 2 days) I'm pretty sure at least 3 for sure were pretty clear & 1 or 2 had what looked like blood rings
hu.gif

*Out of the 10 Jersey Giant rooster/BR hens/Prod. red hens, I think 90% of them are veiny, lil hearts & everything, so those are really good!

I'm at day 10 on one set of eggs. I noticed today I have some detached air pockets with developing chicks. Is there any hope for them to be able to hatch? Any advice on what to do?

I'm looking for that answer too. Didn't think any of my floating air sac eggs would develop but one ameraucana egg my DD saw movement in definitely is detached...that's the only sure thing I can see through that shell. I'm finding lots of recommendations to hatch upright in cut-down cartons for days 18-21. I think I'm going to try that for all my eggs that make it to lock down.

I have the same problem with one of my eggs (but it was my favorite one as it has the best color) from what I've read the idea is to keep it upright during incubation- like in a turner or a carton- so that the air sac can stay in the big end of the egg and then to hatch in egg cartons (I think you have to cut the bottoms out though so that air still circulates properly) the idea is to keep the egg with the detached air sac with the air sac where you want it. It can still hatch :)

also, another thread on here by a very experienced person recommended to candle and to handle the eggs with detached air cells as little as possible (unless hand turning of course). Just leave them alone as much as possible and see if they heal. I candled the one egg I have with a detached air cell on day 7 and I'm not going to candle or weigh the egg again til day 18.

all of my eggs are being incubated in egg cartons with the bottoms cut open for circulation. They have been automatically turned up to this point. Last night I shut the turner off so I can turn them by hand. Turning 136 eggs by hand takes some time! Hopefully turning all of them by hand will repair some of the younger ones that haven't been in very long. Most of my air pockets aren't fully detached, you can just see where the membrane has separated from the shell in places it shouldn't be around the air pocket. Which makes the air pocket look bigger and oddly shaped. I don't understand how it would work to try and hatch the eggs straight up on end, like in an egg carton. Wouldn't the chick be disoriented? I'm at days 16, 11, 7, 6, and 4. I still have a few dozen being shipped tomorrow.

Day 16, 9, and 4

How good of a chance does a chick have of hatching if the air sac is attached to the side of the egg instead of the top?

Also, I've been thinking about how I count the days. is the day you put the eggs in day 1 or day 0? The way I've been counting is by the end of the day not the start of the day.

all of my eggs are being incubated in egg cartons with the bottoms cut open for circulation. They have been automatically turned up to this point. Last night I shut the turner off so I can turn them by hand. Turning 136 eggs by hand takes some time! Hopefully turning all of them by hand will repair some of the younger ones that haven't been in very long. Most of my air pockets aren't fully detached, you can just see where the membrane has separated from the shell in places it shouldn't be around the air pocket. Which makes the air pocket look bigger and oddly shaped. I don't understand how it would work to try and hatch the eggs straight up on end, like in an egg carton. Wouldn't the chick be disoriented? I'm at days 16, 11, 7, 6, and 4. I still have a few dozen being shipped tomorrow.
In regards to the chick being disoriented, I've never seen it be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom