Seven week old chick lethargic, "sleepy", keeps apart from flock...

kimmiekitten86

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 22, 2013
I bought five chicks Sunday, a Leghorn cockerel, two Leghorn pullets, and two New Hampshire red pullets, and was told they were about seven weeks old (the NH red looks older though...). My husband and I checked all over them for life/mites/etc and didn't see any. We brought them home and set them up in a cage outside that was covered, something very similar to what they had been already living in. Well, our 20% chance of rain that night must have jumped up somewhere in the night because I woke up to them soaking wet (there must have been a lot of wind as their cage was covered). One of the reds was dead, and one Leghorn pullet and the other red were very sick, laying on their side, cold, eyes, closed, gasping for air, and literally covered with mites. I brought them all inside, separated them, and put a heat lamp on the sick ones. I thought for sure they would die, but over the course of the day, they dried out, heated up and were up walking around, a little weak, but better than they were. They are all inside now until they are older. My husband and I treated them all with Seven dust for he mites. Now the sick Leghorn is sleepy acting and just sits with her eyes closed, very lethargic, and now the other Leghorn pullet is starting to act lethargic and keeps closing her left eye. The cockerel and red pullet that was sick are acting fine...is this coccidiosis? Any advice?

I don't know what to do, but all do respect I would think you wouldn't keep your chicks out in the open when it has a chance to rain. But I like how you are taking action and trying to help them.

Like I said, I put them in a similar cage to what they were in before, in which they seemed to be doing fine. That 20% chance of rain was supposed to happen between 8 and midnight and never happened, so we went to bed. I most certainly would have brought them inside if I knew it was actually going to rain, especially like that. I feel bad enough about it without judgement or a guilt trip, and I wouldn't post this question at all if I were looking for anything other than help and advice.

Like I said, I put them in a similar cage to what they were in before, in which they seemed to be doing fine. That 20% chance of rain was supposed to happen between 8 and midnight and never happened, so we went to bed. I most certainly would have brought them inside if I knew it was actually going to rain, especially like that. I feel bad enough about it without judgment or a guilt trip, and I wouldn't post this question at all if I were looking for anything other than help and advice.
Oh my I never was meaning to be mean.

Last edited:
Oh no offense taken at all, I just feel terrible about it. :( I baby all of my birds and this is the first time I've ever had a sick one...I feel terrible about them getting wet and just want to help them...

It does sound like it could be coccidosis .cocci can be present without blood stool. I would start corid and see if it helps. Did they just start this behavior? If yes do try the corid.

Oh no offense taken at all, I just feel terrible about it.
sad.png
I baby all of my birds and this is the first time I've ever had a sick one...I feel terrible about them getting wet and just want to help them...
Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up over it. Chances are they're anemic from mites and they might also have coccidiosis, so no harm in treating for that with Corid. If you have the liquid you could give each one a drop or two as well as putting it in the water. When mine are sick I bring them in a warm room, 80-85 degrees and that really helps. Corid doses are in the link below in my sig.

Source: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf

Supportive Care
SICK-BIRD ENCLOSURES
Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.

Thank you so much. They just started these symptoms this morning. I am going to get the medicine now...I'll update on them later.

Back
Top Bottom