willandstacey06

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 13, 2016
So a few weeks ago, we noticed our rooster, Hugo, had a large swollen area on his foot/ankle. It didn’t appear to be bumblefoot at first because it was higher up on his foot and didn’t have the “scabbed” area. He was still getting around okay, so we decided to watch it. As time went on, we noticed it did develop the scabbed area so we decided to remove it. That part went smoothly. He tolerated it well and we got a very large amount of what looked like hardened up pus/infection out. Being our first time, I assumed this was what it was supposed to look like. It popped out and we thought we had it all out. A day later when we assessed it again, there was more of that hardened white/yellow stuff again! We have now been working on it for a couple weeks. Each day or two, we take off the bandage to check it out and it has some thin pus in there and opens back up. There is a pretty good sized opening there now. It seems like it wants to heal but then sometimes we can still pop more of that hard stuff out. Is it coming back?? Should I leave it alone and let it heal up and see what happens? I don’t know what else to do. He is eating and drinking but doesn’t move around much. He seems to have trouble balancing, which I think is from the bandage on his foot not letting him get a good grip on the ground with his feet. Any advice is appreciated.

Bumblefoot usually is resolved once that core is out and the foot heals back up. Since your roo is not healing and you're seeing that thin pus, could it be an infection started in there?

A picture might help, but just winging it here that soaking his foot in some warm soapy water and using an old toothbrush to try to clean the entire area, cover it with antibiotic ointment, and bandage it up.

It could be he needs an antibiotic to beat this too as it seems unusual he's not healing up.

Bumblefoot usually is resolved once that core is out and the foot heals back up. Since your roo is not healing and you're seeing that thin pus, could it be an infection started in there?

A picture might help, but just winging it here that soaking his foot in some warm soapy water and using an old toothbrush to try to clean the entire area, cover it with antibiotic ointment, and bandage it up.

It could be he needs an antibiotic to beat this too as it seems unusual he's not healing up.
I will post a couple pictures of what his foot looked like today when we unwrapped it and also of the “debris” that came out of it AGAIN today. Similar as every time before. We cleaned it again with peroxide and bandaged it back up.

Attachments

• IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom