Severe Cross Beak--- Need help treating

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
I recently purchased a few chickens from a lady one having a crossed beak. The lady told me she had a crossed beak and I thought "okay no problem it's probably not to bad." Well.... When I got there she sure had a crossed beak. The worst I had ever seen. She said she could still eat and drink fine with out assistants and if I wanted I could clip her beak. My big question is the clipping. I want to know are their beaks like clipping nails they don't have feeling but, of course, you don't clip to far back because of the roof of their mouth and soft tissue. If their beaks are like what I am assuming I was thinking or possibly using a dremel tool to "grind" her beak away rather than cutting and possibly causing a crack in her beak. I use a dremel on my dogs toe nails which I found found to be much less stressful and potentially painful like clipping them. The only problem I would see would be the noise scaring her. Does this idea sound like a good way to treat it? If not then what are other treatments? She doesn't NEED it but I feel like it would make her more comfortable in trimming her beak.

I don't have any pictures at the moment and won't be able to get any until Saturday because of the birds being at my grandmothers. But I do have some drawings I did that look like her beak. Yes, her beak is that long I'm not exaggerating.

Another question I have is this a genetic thing that can be passed on to her offspring or something that only affects the chicken/ mother itself?

I have Blue Laced Red Wyandotte with a crossed beak also. But mine is a Roo. He is way smaller than the others his age but he seems to drink fine, but i put his scratch and layer in a bowl for him and he seems to do better that way. He free roams with the other chickens and seems to do well, but he is smaller. I don't wanna clip his beak.

I'll watch her and make sure she is doing alright. If the procedure is to complicated/ risky I won't do it. It's a good thing she isn't the best birds out of the ones I bought! I'll be sure not to breed her.

Back
Top Bottom