Severe Missing Feathers

Motherof12

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
Hello, I have been on this site for several years and found some good suggestions, but this is the first time I have written. Now I am at my wits end! I have 11 chickens, 3 are 7 years old, 1 is 3 years old and the rest are 2 years old. I do not eat my chickens so plan to keep them till they die of old age. I have multiple problems but all to do with feathers and I have been trying all kinds of things, but nothing seems to work. I do not have a vet anywhere in the area that can help me……I have called everyone within an hour distance, and none take chickens. The chickens have a coop, a run that is about 8’ x 4’ and a huge fenced outdoor play area where they can dust bathe. We let them out into the play area every day so they are not cooped up and on occasion out into the rest of the yard so they can get grass. I feed them Purina pellets because it is easy for me to get, and I put apple cider vinegar in their water. I even tried them on feather fixer hoping that would help even though they are not molting yet. I do my best to keep them entertained and they get snacks but I try to only give them vegetables or ones with protein. Now to the problem…9 of the 11 chickens are missing feathers somewhere. I thought it was a pecking problem because 2 are not missing any at all and I have seen them pecking but it just seems to be getting worse. Most are missing them at the base of their tail, 1 is missing her entire tail feathers, 1 of my older ones is missing them from the base of the tail, the neck and all over her chest. I do have another 1 missing them on just her chest. Then there are 2 missing them at the vent area and at least 1 of those has runny stools. 1 of with the missing feathers at the base looks like the missing feathers are going up the shaft. I have completely cleaned the coop multiple times, sprayed it with mite spray and have spray/dusted each of the chickens’ multiple times over the last 6 months which is not easy since I am elderly and I only have 3 or 4 who will easily let me handle them. I have tried examining them up close and do not see any mites or bugs of any kind. I also had this problem last year but not quite as bad. The 2 without missing feathers are the old girls and I really don’t have any place to put them separate. I don’t want to give them unnecessary drugs so have not tried worming them. They all are eating and drinking just fine. It is hot here now, so the egg production is about 7 eggs a day which I thought was good since some of them are older. I am uploading a few pictures. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate the help. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210530_151833.jpg
    20210530_151833.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210530_151908.jpg
    20210530_151908.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210530_152144.jpg
    20210530_152144.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210530_152927.jpg
    20210530_152927.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 11
So I am wondering if you have 1 or more feather pickers
This is a bad habit brought in by boredom, over crowding and sometimes due to not enough protein in the diet.
I adopted 6 production hens and one turned out to be a feather picker. I discovered this by sitting in the yard and coop and watched. In about one hour spread over 3 days I identified the culprit.
I ordered a package of pinless peepers along with the tool to apply and remove them.
She wore the glasses 6 weeks and when I removed them the feather picking and feather loss stopped
Worth a try.
20181124_175531.jpg

Have you observed them for extended periods of time? may be possible they are bored and picking their or each others feathers.
Yes and sometimes they do pick sometimes. Boredom is what I thought at first but I try to keep them entertained. The neighbors have chickens and they keep theirs in a much smaller area that I have and do not have that problem. If it is I can live with that.....I just don't want them to be miserable because of some parasite or illness. I will try sitting out with them while they are in their play yard and see if I notice it happening a lot.

Last edited:
So I am wondering if you have 1 or more feather pickers
This is a bad habit brought in by boredom, over crowding and sometimes due to not enough protein in the diet.
I adopted 6 production hens and one turned out to be a feather picker. I discovered this by sitting in the yard and coop and watched. In about one hour spread over 3 days I identified the culprit.
I ordered a package of pinless peepers along with the tool to apply and remove them.
She wore the glasses 6 weeks and when I removed them the feather picking and feather loss stopped
Worth a try.
View attachment 2803137
Good idea. Usually when I sit out with them it is when I turn them lose out of their yard so they can graze. I will try sitting out with them while they are in their play yard and see if I notice it happening a lot. I have noticed a couple on occasion but I am not staying out for long periods.

Back
Top Bottom