severely damaged feathers from gander fight

ZorotheDuck

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

We have a American Buff gander who got beat up by our Toulouse-Sebastapol gander. We found our Buff two mornings ago on the other side of their night-time partition with the ducks and our Toulouse-African goose and the Toulouse-Sebastapol gander. He was in the corner, looking like he was trying to hide. I don't know how/why he jumped the partition. His feathers are totally ravaged- there are patches on his wings where the feathers have been pulled out and there is just bare/bloody skin, although he does still have some top feathers to cover the bare spots. Many of his tail feathers are broken off, and in general he just looks really mangy.

I've been spraying the skin where the feathers were pulled out with Vetricin 2x a day, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can/should be doing. The skin looks clean now, not bloody any more. He doesn't appear to have any bone damage, but it does seem like it is too painful for him to stretch out his wings fully. I can imagine he is very sore. He is eating and drinking, but is definitely less spunky than usual and not talkative. He is doing well hanging out with his buff goose and gander friends. I am keeping the Toulouse cross pair separated from the Buffs, as that Toulouse gander is being aggressive in general (going out of his way to chase and bite onto a Buff's chest or neck and not letting go when they try to get away. It's surprising given that he's so much smaller than the buffs!)

Any insight or advice is appreciated!

Given good feed and time he will heal and regrow feathers. Have a plan B in mind in case his 'gander friends' may not be so friendly now that breeding season is approaching. Gander fights can be brutal. They are powerful birds.

Thank you! I figured it was probably just a matter of time for him to heal, but I feel so sorry for him :-( He's our favorite, with a super funny personality, and is so friendly. Being a novice goose owner, I'm always paranoid that I should be doing more.

I am learning first hand how powerful they are- breaking up these latest fights between the Toulouse and the Buffs has been painful. I am now understanding why people talk about getting bruises from breaking up waterfowl fights!

Back
Top Bottom