Wow, started doing a lot of research just trying to find out what the "inert" ingredients are in Sevin since someone on a thread said that it was mostly DT. I can't find anything that says that.
BUT, I found out a lot of info that I don't like, especially about it being a neurotoxin and a carcinogen, and after reading the following article, I'm getting rid of my Sevin. This may explain why my dog got sick, too, since my chickens and dogs co-mingle in the back 1/4 acre and in and around the henhouse: https://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/poisoning-our-pets/Content?oid=1195319

Bayer Environmental Science’s Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Sevin 80WSP, a dry powder, lists the active ingredient as at least 80 percent 1-naphthyl N-methylcarbamate, or carbaryl. Inert carriers listed are calcium silicate, quartz and diatomaceous earth.

Here is the link to the extensive study that Cornell University did.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/carbaryl-ext.html

The link provided about it poisoning our pets, is based on pure assumption. We all know that certain pesticides used in lawn care, don't always play well with some fertilizers. N-nitrosocarbaryl, formed by the reaction of carbaryl and nitrite, has been shown to be carcinogenic in rats at high doses. This means that The oral LD50 of carbaryl ranges from 250 mg/kg to 850 mg/kg for rats. What we purchase in the store is 5%. LD50 means it's 50%, or 10 times stronger. These rats were fed 250 - 850 mg at 50% to test this. That is more than I would consume in 3 lifetimes, if I left my mouth open every time I dusted, and if I dusted 15 times a year.

Is it toxic? Yes, to bugs. If it weren't, it wouldn't work. In many instances, ordinary dish soap water, like you use for washing dishes, is toxic to many bugs too. I'm not going to stop washing my dishes because of it.

Just want to give you all an update. And the news is GOOD! I've been mixing up my own magic elixir that I found after months of research a few years back when I had spider mites. It is doing the job. There are no mites crawling on the walls at all anymore. I still have a few in the shavings that I had just put in the henhouse a few days ago right after spraying with enzymes.
Today, I'm going to remove the shavings, totally spray the henhouse again with my mixture, and replace with new shavings. Besides getting rid of the mites, the henhouse now has a very pleasant smell of cloves!
Then hens are already looking better and happier.
As for Archie, I wasn't able to even find the Tylan suggested by the vet from UCDavis, but I happened to find that I still had a bag of over-the-counter oxytetracycline to mix in the chickens' water, so am doing that and changing it daily. Archie's eyes have already cleared up, and no more of that weird "yawning" from him or the couple other hens that were starting to get respiratory infections. Will continue the meds for a week as per directions. Am not throwing the eggs away, but rather scrambling them up and feeding them back to the chickens! No wasted eggs, no wasted meds!
So my mixture is: Monterey Garden Insect Spray (concentrate) and SaferGro Pest Out (a cottonseed, clove, and garlic oil mix). The Monterey contains spinosad. I was able to get the Monterey at a local organic farm/garden supply store, and the SaferGro I found at a Hydroponics store. But I see that you can get both online at Amazon, too.
I use a garden sprayer -- the kind that you fill the jug and then insert the pump unit that builds up the pressure. I mix 1.5 oz (3 Tablespoons) Pest Out and 2 oz (4 Tablespoons) Monterey to a gallon of water. I spray all the walls, ceiling, nest boxes, roosts, floor, etc of the henhouse, until everything is covered and wet. I even sprayed the outside of the henhouse, and beneath it where there is an open area that the hens use in the summer to dust and stay cool when they aren't running around on the property.
Now I can actually grab the door jamb and not find my hand covered with mites! YAY! My henhouse is built of wood (2x12 lumber...I was lucky and got it free from a construction school that had previously used it and was throwing it away) and its dimensions are 6' x 8' x about 7' tall. I have one "window" on one side with shutters that are the same wood and covered with chicken wire to let in the breeze during the day, with the shutters closed at night. It took less than two gallons to do the entire thing.
I sprayed a bit on the chickens feet, too, to keep any mites from crawling up on them at night.
The hens themselves have just had DE, and a light spritzing of my mixture. I'm still going to get wood ashes from my son to add to their dusting holes.
But at this point, I'm ECSTATIC that the mite population has almost been completely eliminated!

Just want to give you all an update. And the news is GOOD! I've been mixing up my own magic elixir that I found after months of research a few years back when I had spider mites. It is doing the job. There are no mites crawling on the walls at all anymore. I still have a few in the shavings that I had just put in the henhouse a few days ago right after spraying with enzymes.
Today, I'm going to remove the shavings, totally spray the henhouse again with my mixture, and replace with new shavings. Besides getting rid of the mites, the henhouse now has a very pleasant smell of cloves!
Then hens are already looking better and happier.
As for Archie, I wasn't able to even find the Tylan suggested by the vet from UCDavis, but I happened to find that I still had a bag of over-the-counter oxytetracycline to mix in the chickens' water, so am doing that and changing it daily. Archie's eyes have already cleared up, and no more of that weird "yawning" from him or the couple other hens that were starting to get respiratory infections. Will continue the meds for a week as per directions. Am not throwing the eggs away, but rather scrambling them up and feeding them back to the chickens! No wasted eggs, no wasted meds!
So my mixture is: Monterey Garden Insect Spray (concentrate) and SaferGro Pest Out (a cottonseed, clove, and garlic oil mix). The Monterey contains spinosad. I was able to get the Monterey at a local organic farm/garden supply store, and the SaferGro I found at a Hydroponics store. But I see that you can get both online at Amazon, too.
I use a garden sprayer -- the kind that you fill the jug and then insert the pump unit that builds up the pressure. I mix 1.5 oz (3 Tablespoons) Pest Out and 2 oz (4 Tablespoons) Monterey to a gallon of water. I spray all the walls, ceiling, nest boxes, roosts, floor, etc of the henhouse, until everything is covered and wet. I even sprayed the outside of the henhouse, and beneath it where there is an open area that the hens use in the summer to dust and stay cool when they aren't running around on the property.
Now I can actually grab the door jamb and not find my hand covered with mites! YAY! My henhouse is built of wood (2x12 lumber...I was lucky and got it free from a construction school that had previously used it and was throwing it away) and its dimensions are 6' x 8' x about 7' tall. I have one "window" on one side with shutters that are the same wood and covered with chicken wire to let in the breeze during the day, with the shutters closed at night. It took less than two gallons to do the entire thing.
I sprayed a bit on the chickens feet, too, to keep any mites from crawling up on them at night.
The hens themselves have just had DE, and a light spritzing of my mixture. I'm still going to get wood ashes from my son to add to their dusting holes.
But at this point, I'm ECSTATIC that the mite population has almost been completely eliminated!
That is excellent good news! So glad for you.
I also have won the battle, but the only way I can win the war is to inspect my birds more often, even if no
signs of pre infestation are present.
I am part to blame for dropping the ball before the infestation explosion. I used to inspect birds on a regular basis but I have been preoccupied with breeding our Goats and Swine and neglected a little preventative care with my egg house.
Going to try and do a random inspection on a couple of hens more periodically.
"A stitch in time, saves nine".
BTW.. I just had an egg salad sandwich just before this response making me feel guilty that I am blessed to have an unlimited supply of fresh delicious eggs at my disposal, so the least I can do is take better care of my Ladies.
After all my girls take care of me!
:love

IMG_1527.JPG

Here's some of my birds with suspected bug infections.

OK think I've read all the pros and cons above and am gonna bite the bullet and use Sevin.
Before I do, couple of questions.
Do I dust the run as well as the coop and birds? Watched some of the above videos - are there any other good guides on how to use Sevin around the coop etc? (Sorry if missed)
Is it OK to leave this stuff on?
Have also been treating with Bovimectin (Ivermectin). Once I've dusted with Sevin how long should I stop eating the eggs?
Appreciate the help in advance - these critters have been around for a while.
F

Before Sevin was taken off-label, a poultry medical expert said there was no withdrawal time on the eggs for Sevin. I don't know the withdrawal time for ivermectin.

View attachment 1131148
Here's some of my birds with suspected bug infections.

OK think I've read all the pros and cons above and am gonna bite the bullet and use Sevin.
Before I do, couple of questions.
Do I dust the run as well as the coop and birds? Watched some of the above videos - are there any other good guides on how to use Sevin around the coop etc? (Sorry if missed)
Is it OK to leave this stuff on?
Have also been treating with Bovimectin (Ivermectin). Once I've dusted with Sevin how long should I stop eating the eggs?
Appreciate the help in advance - these critters have been around for a while.
F
I'd use this instead of Sevin...and it is approved for use on poultry.
Make sure you spray the cracks of the coop real well too.
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.08.14 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom