Sevin

atief1253

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Has anyone ever heard of the above powder? I was advised to put on my hens for mites/lice. I haven't and won't until I get sound medical advice but wonder what people think.

Do they have lice/mites?

You can use sevin dust but its hard on there lungs.I would go With Garden Spray/Poultry Dust.

Seven Dust used to be approved for poultry use...it no longer is.
A good few sprays of a permethrin based spray would work too.

Sevin used to be the powder of choice for lice. I have used it and it does work. Recently, though, it has been found that while it kills bugs, it also stays in the chicken resulting in a permanent egg withdrawal. The chemical is passed in the eggs and whoever eats it will also be consuming the residue.
I now use permethrin or pyrethrin garden and poultry dust. You could use a couple of drops of pour on ivermectin on the back of the neck, between the wings on each chicken.

It is also a common practice to add DE to the chickens dust bath to help prevent lice and mites. DE will not rid a chicken of lice once the chicken is infested. Caution is advised because the dust can cause irritation to the lungs both for the chickens and humans alike.

Back
Top Bottom