Sex this, please!

I should have done multiple quotes instead of multiple posts, but many many young roosters will turn around. Some take longer than others. I very seldom have one not settle and become a better rooster.

It can take them sometimes to almost 2 years of age before they become a good rooster, others just a few months. I always give them a chance. I have had good luck with keeping them penned, most will be penned for months before I try letting them out, others I will pen and release repeatedly.

Every rooster is different. As long as a rooster isn't human aggressive and a person has room I say give them a chance and time.
Most definitely a handsome Cockerel. Roosters can get unpredictable... He may be aggressive now, but you will not officially know until he's fully matured. Would you want to remove a rooster that might turn out to be wonderful? I have young rooster, Magnum, in my profile photo, he is extremely sweet around me. Sits on my lap, sleeps on my shoulder, he's great! But he definitely does not have the hang of it when it comes to being around "ladies"... He'll mate a hen and stand on them for awhile. But little by little I'm training him and teaching him right from wrong. If I got rid of him a month ago, right now I wouldn't have the best, in my opinion, rooster I've ever had. Take it day by day... Follow your sense and see what happens. ;) But do not jump to conclusions... Not all roosters are terrible and you might have yourself a good one. When you see him being rough, pick him up and either yell at him or (no offense) hold him by the tail. Good luck and God bless. Good luck with your rooster and have a happy new year. :)
Thank you for the advice! I don't think he's all that bad. He runs up to me when I come home all the time and just hangs around me, so he's not human aggressive. While he is being a jerk to the adult orpington, most times they run around the yard together and he's fine with her. They roost next to each other every night. I'm concerned about the 12-week olds, though, so he's in a separate area next to the main coop for now. I'm thinking of going to where I got the 12-week olds and picking up some more of the same age so he will have more than 4 hens. I'm learning the happier he is the better chance he won't have issues. So far they free range so space is not an issue but I am thinking he's going to need more hens!

Back
Top Bottom